GTiROC – The Future?

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
anyway andy, whats your conclusion to all the posts made? are we heading to armageddon or is the future bright and orange with the club:lol::lol:
I don’t want to make any formal conclusions, but there are some excellent points and ideas from members.

I'd like to see more opinions from more members that have not spoken, so that the OC gets a better understanding and feedback of what people want.
Perhaps if people want to be anonymous then a separate section or questionnaire could be created so that people can offer their true feelings without fear of appraisal?

I’d like to see something good come from this, it may take a little time, but if we can certainly get some areas in motion then it’s a definite thumbs up from me – I'd also be willing to assist!

steve963

all the cash raised should go into gearbox design! (and a free gearbox to all of us)

probably already been mentioned but dont have time to read through all of this

Johneh

All looks good tbh, fair points have been raised. One major thing, who's actually looking after the website now? I noticed the gallery broke a while ago, and still isn't working again. Just throwing it out there but I program PHP & MySQL for a living and thats what the site is running on. I wouldn't mind helping out fixing things on the site, or helping to develop new areas etc. Maybe if the frequently asked questions were in a more structured manner then people wouldn't feel the need to ask them again & again. I'll be up for any local meets & im hoping to make japshow too with any luck.

Edit: I always found the modifiers club more.. friendly than this club to be honest. Thats why i tend to use that site more, even though its mostly the same people on both sites. I always felt like there were less people interested in the members threads (apart from people who had friends on the site or were older members), and that you'd get moaned at for asking questions. Maybe its changed now though (hopefully :lol:)

Last edited:

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
I noticed the gallery broke a while ago, and still isn't working again. Just throwing it out there but I program PHP & MySQL for a living and thats what the site is running on. I wouldn't mind helping out fixing things on the site, or helping to develop new areas etc.
Basically the Gallery doesn't like working on this version of vB so needs updated to the new one. However the company who supplied the Gallery software was sold so we either need to buy a new one or try and play around with the PHP..

I found the company it was all sold to but i may pick on your services to see if you can fix it as it is..

I managed to fix the portal when it went after the upgrade but the Gallery doesn't like me..

Matt Evans

Ok, I've been a member of the GTiROC for a few years now and although I'm not what you'd class as a 'regular', as you can tell by my amount of posts, or lack of, I do find the site invaluable.

However, as mentioned by a few other members, I do find the general attitude of the site is a bit 'hit and miss'. i know a lot of people will and have said that this is just the way people are on here and that what makes us different etc. but from my own personal experience that has put a few people off, almost including myself, but thankfully not. :)

What I mean is the whole 'OMG some newb has dared to ask about standard boost again, USE THE SEARCH BUTTON!' thing. I can totally understand members who have an intimate knowledge of the 'R' and have been around on here for a long time to be frustrated by this, but for a lot of people wishing to find a friendly, helpful site it kinda hits them like frying pan in the face. For instance, I've used the search engine on here countless times and found tons of great info, but I've also spend an age, trawling through posts to not come up with the exact answer I need. We've all got slightly different set-ups and ideas of what we want, so I think some people just need to be a bit more patient. It kinda makes new members feel like the established members are in control of the site and newbs aren't welcome.

Its also like the '1 Bar Mongs' comments. Not everybody is a power-hungry figure-digger, chasing massive BHP! I personally have a very vivid idea of what I want my car to be and it doesn't involve any more than say 330 BHP. Although I'm still an active member of this site, it makes me feel that a lot of members have this elitist attitude and have zero tolerance for anyone who knows less than they do and people who don't want 500+ BHP. Don't get me wrong, I don't go and cry if someone says something I don't like, as long as their comments are in context, but it does make me feel like not bothering at all. I'm sure that isn't the kind of impression the site wants to give out, but for a lot of people, sadly it is.

Right then, a few ideas you may want to consider.

I've only just signed up to the Modifiers Club, and where this site has stacks of great info, on the Mods Club I found lots of very useful yet probably frequently asked information very easy to find. Stuff like 'what boost can standard setup take', 'GTiR Spec sheets' and even history of GTiR in Rally was a breeze to find, with their own sections and links, without having to annoy any of the members by having to ask them. I know there are lots of 'stickies' on this site, but for things that are asked by hundreds of people all of the time, can't we just put them in their own section?

Going back to peoples comments, banter etc. I know people will say things that others don't like, but somes comments are just not called for. Its all very well for someone to say 'Thats just my opinion' or 'Thats just the way I am, I say what I think', and if their family or friends put up with that, thats fine. However, this is supposed to be a community, I don't think members would say some of the comments they do people in their everyday lives, due to the fact they may either get a good kicking or worse. So why does it seem to be acceptable on here? I do think it is in part due to the slightly lax attitude taken to banter on this site. I personally don't mind a bit of banter, but if not kept in its place, it will and has spiralled out of control. So how about when someone starts a new thread they can put a certain letter or designation into the title, that will indicate it is a serious thread and do not want hijackers taking the mick and ruining it with silly comments?

Also, how about a GTiROC Elite section? Where you need to achieve and dispaly certain levels of 'R' knowledge, awareness, posts etc, before your allowed to post on that section. That way, members who totally know what they're talking about can post away without fear of 'newbs' being able to ask the god-forbidden silly questions they do. :) But newbs will still be able to view the posts.

There are probably loads of other things, but for now thats my bit said. :)

Last edited:

Johneh

Basically the Gallery doesn't like working on this version of vB so needs updated to the new one. However the company who supplied the Gallery software was sold so we either need to buy a new one or try and play around with the PHP..

I found the company it was all sold to but i may pick on your services to see if you can fix it as it is..

I managed to fix the portal when it went after the upgrade but the Gallery doesn't like me..
Fair enough matey, well just let me know if you want my help. Both this site and the modifiers have been invaluable in my pulsar history so im more than willing to help out where i can :)

Fire & skill

Vintage member
I always found the modifiers site quite cliquey and only interested in their own little group. If I post anything on there it usually takes days for a response, no one helps you out and in fact you are lucky if you get a reply at all.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I quite like that 'elite' idea - perhaps using the reputation system (so that only people with a certain level can post). That way the real gurus can post their thoughts, and those who are regarded as knowing enough to respond sensibly can do so. Those who perhaps need to travel the road of GTiR knowledge can read the posts, but not respond to them. - It's like GTiR Mensa!

There seems to be an issue on both sites with what people feel is banter and what others feel is a good slagging. I think when someone asks a stupid question, or makes a stupid observation, they deserved to get told it (probably with a joke at their expense). They don't deserve to get pages of abuse about it.
Maybe the members who've been around for a while know each other, and know how to take it. Some of the newer members can get quite intimidated by it; I know I've been scared off from posting my questions and thoughts on both sites when I've read some of the banter in the thread.

There seems to be a feeling that the modifiers site is where you cut your teeth, and can ask the basic questions. This is where you come when you think you're a little further up; where you get the serious and technical answers, but as a result we (you? maybe I'm not really there just yet) don't take kindly to posts that are not up to standard.

Fire & skill

Vintage member
tbh, things that have been answered a hundred times I still usually answer or point a newbie in the right direction. I always give people the benifit of doubt

John

tbh, things that have been answered a hundred times I still usually answer or point a newbie in the right direction. I always give people the benifit of doubt
Yup agreed, it doesnt take much effort to point someone in the right direction if they are stuck, even if it is what we would consider a newbie question, as lets face it we were all new at some stage.

Garef

I had an idea that kind of tied in with the idea of a road trip. I had said in my original post that I thought one regional event a year would be good, something that everyone could look forward to and prepare for and one national event a year like Boby had said. However, just to throw a spanner into the works and to add to it I thought about having the national event in a different country each year. Sure this would mean a four year spread, but what about Scotland one year, England the next, Ireland and then Wales. Maybe to something like a trackday weekend in each country. This would give the road trippers a chance to drive, it would give the track buffs a chance to try different tracks and it would give the posers a chance to spend a lot of petrol driving there. ;-) It's just a suggestion and to be honest I reckon it would be more difficult than say a meet in the top of England each year, but I reckon this would be more fun and it would give each country a good few years to organise something special. Just a thought.

Mr GTiR

I had an idea that kind of tied in with the idea of a road trip. I had said in my original post that I thought one regional event a year would be good, something that everyone could look forward to and prepare for and one national event a year like Boby had said. However, just to throw a spanner into the works and to add to it I thought about having the national event in a different country each year. Sure this would mean a four year spread, but what about Scotland one year, England the next, Ireland and then Wales. Maybe to something like a trackday weekend in each country. This would give the road trippers a chance to drive, it would give the track buffs a chance to try different tracks and it would give the posers a chance to spend a lot of petrol driving there. ;-) It's just a suggestion and to be honest I reckon it would be more difficult than say a meet in the top of England each year, but I reckon this would be more fun and it would give each country a good few years to organise something special. Just a thought.
I like this idea :thumbsup:

Johneh

Me too, scotland meet could be at crail ? England (midlands area) santapod ? Depends whether people want to meet up at a quarter mile raceway, or a full on track.

Mr GTiR

Lets not get too bogged down with the exact details but I like the general idea.

Anyone else got a view/comment on Andy's thread? Lots of good suggestions, but what we need to do now is take these ideas implement them and take the club forward.

Last edited:

GTiR_Mic

Me too, scotland meet could be at crail ? England (midlands area) santapod ? Depends whether people want to meet up at a quarter mile raceway, or a full on track.
Knockhill would be a better day out compared to Crail to be honest.

I was there today for the SIDC track day, they had a rolling pit from 9am to 1pm & could go on & off as you pleased, less stress on the car & can just take your own pace on the track.

P

pulsarboby

agreed, i think these meets would be a great idea, i still say a proper track is better (not just for my own selfish reasons) but simply because at drag events you have to
1)queue up for ages for a 10 or 15 sec blast
2) run the risk of leaving gearbox internals or clutch littered all over the place, then further que's whilst they clear the track
3) unsociable as everyones all stuck in a boring que all the time and people are scattered everywhere which then makes it very clicky and unsociable

proper track will be much more fun for everyone as passenger rides can be offered and wrist bands normally only cost a fiver.
people can actually see how well there car can perform on the twisties without fear of being nicked by the ol bill, whether there a passenger or take there own vehicle on track, its an enlightning experience for those that havent sat in a car going full tilt (bring your own puke bags lol)
other events at the track can also be organised such as show n shine, biggest heap of the day:-D, beer tent with barbie on the go even down for bringing stuff for kiddies to do like face painting etc etc, all these things are minimal in cost and should attract families as opposed to just the hard core car enthusiast, also someone else mentioned a sponsor style raffle which i would not mind setting up maybe with some of the other sponsors where some worth while prizes would be up for grabs.
what more can a petrol head ask for lol

GTiR_Mic

There is lot of good ideas going about now but when will they be implemented & also a way of keeping all the members up to speed on what is happening.