GTIR turbo with S14/15 turbo housing swapp = more power?

djdoc360

Theres a guy from a car form direct swapped the compressor housing on his gtir turbo with a S14 housing( T3 to TO4B). Has anyone heared of this swapp being done and is it worth it? He said somthing about it being a little laggier but a big kick once it hits.:shock: What do you guys think?

Kev@Apex

S14/S15 have 0.64 AR, I think the GTiR Turbo is a 0.86 Housing, you should get less lag, but not more power from the exh housing swap.

The S15 turbo, if swapped completly, has a ball bearing core for even earlier spool.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
If you know what you're doing you can mix and match turbines and compressors to your hearts content - it's just that most people don't and it's easier to buy a turbo that has already been matched appropriately.

Or is that wrong? - I just remember about 5 or 10 years ago everyone was talking about swapping the compressor over... Garatt T01 to a Garatt T1.5 and so on, but keeping the existing turbine as that was the right one for their engine. These days people just buy a new unit and don't bother with doing their own rebuilding. I will admit that this was mainly for rotary engines at the time; I had a friend who was building a big power RX3.

djdoc360

I going to swapp the compressor house because what i read, the T3 compressor house is smaller than the TO4B on a s14/15.
http://www.sr20forum.com/forced-ind...7-rare-t04b-compressor-housing-gti-r-t28.html
^ is a link on the SR20from sight.

and also
OEM:

S13 SR20DET: T-25, 60 trim 56mm BCI-1 compressor, 53.8mm 62 trim
T-25 turbine, .64 A/R turbine housing. Journal
bearings.

S14 SR20DET: T-28, 60 trim 60 mm BCI-1 compressor in T-04B housing,
62 trim 53.8mm T-25 turbine. .64 A/R turbine housing.
Ball bearing center section.

S15 SR20DET: Same as S14, but with Inco turbine wheel (instead of
GMR), cast divider wall between turbine discharge and
wastegate.

Pulsar GTi-R: T-28, 60 trim 60 mm BCI-1 compressor in standard T-3
housing. 79 trim 53.8mm Inco T-250 turbine wheel .86
A/R turbine housing. Journal bearings.

quote from some guy.."GTi-R T-28 is a really good turbo. I think that it is better if you lose
the T-3 compressor housing and get a housing off of the S14. This is a big
improvement. With the T-04B compressor housing, the GTi-R turbo can support
about 16 psi and 280+ wheel hp. Makes pretty good boost by 3500 RPM, too."

So the hot 86 A/R on the GTIR is bad ass compared to is other SR cousins. Its the compressor housing on the gtir turbo that smaller. And by swapping the housing , it can breath better. I found a S15 turbo for very cheep + i have my spare GTIR turbo. So im going to give it a go.

warringtonjack

by swapping the housing , it can breath better.
I don't know whether I'm being thick and completely missing the point, but why would you want better 'breathing' on the compressor side? Surely this will just result in better spool up times, but ultimately lower power?? :noidea:

If the GTiR T28 could have been made better with a different sized compressor housing, I'm sure Nissan would have done it.

djdoc360

That's what i thought too but I have a spare GTIR turbo and in buying a S15 turbo for $50 US dollars(RWD turbo are a everywhere). A Japanese guy showed me how to take off both compressor housing. Its a cheep mod and im not really looking for big HP.

warringtonjack

That's what i thought too but I have a spare GTIR turbo and in buying a S15 turbo for $50 US dollars(RWD turbo are a everywhere). A Japanese guy showed me how to take off both compressor housing. Its a cheep mod and im not really looking for big HP.
In that case, let us know how you get on! :thumb:

ashills

it will spool up fast but run out of puff think 1.3 bar was only 300 bhp on eds car who used to be on here years ago (mr demodifier lol)

djdoc360

Still on stand by with this mod( recovering from x mas). Once the compressor swapp is complete, im only going to run standard boost and compare.

L

Laurence

Hey can you PM with details of where to get an S15 Turbo for $50!? Thanks!

djdoc360

The turbo is blown, thats why it was 50 US dollars. I only needed thee compressor housing A good s14/15 turbo cost $200-400 US dollars(20000-40000 yen).