GTI-R For Sale - Owned for 18 Years+ only £2,000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curtis

Well I didn’t think I'd ever have to write this ad for a couple of reasons and apologies in advance for the long post, but I wanted to give you all a bit of back story and history on the car as well.

Firstly I didn't think I'd ever sell it so that’s one reason I didn’t think I would be writing this and secondly I had a buyer biting my hand off to take it away calling me every week for months and offering to leave a deposit, while it was with Ed at Fusion Motorsport getting a few bits sorted out.

Unfortunately Ed was really busy and it took him a long time to get around to fixing the car and the buyer after months not surprisingly I guess, seems to have given up and his number is now dead. So that's good news I guess for one of you!

I was the first proper UK owner of this car after it was imported into the UK and registered by the importer some 18 years ago.

For the first 12 years of that time I used this car as a daily driver and it was faultless. The only issues I'd ever had with it was the clutch master cylinder failed and was replaced with a new one and the clutch itself went which was replaced with a Helix Organic. Other than that, it's just been the usual servicing parts likes oil and fuel filters and of course tyres.

For the last 6 years of its life it has sadly been left to sit on my drive. Other than starting it up every 2-3 months and taking it around the block a couple of times a year it’s not really moved very far. That was at least the case up until about a year or so ago when it wouldn't start.

I had an auto electrician check all over the car to find out the fault, he disabled the alarm and immobiliser which was a Clifford Concept 50x, in an alarming (pun intended) 2 minutes to rule that out and after an hour or so, determined it had to be the fuel pump, which was when I first called Ed.

I used to be very active on these forums, don't let the post count that is showing now fool you. I was a top 10 poster back in the day, so I'm not sure what has happened to the count, but hopefully some old school members are still on here from back then who can vouch for me being a very nice guy. No doubt Rob, vpulsar, odin or whatever you are calling yourself these days is still kicking about. lol :)

Anyway back to the story... I mean For Sale ad.

So I finally got the car back from Ed a few weeks ago after he replaced the fuel pump with a new Walbro 255, drained and completely cleaned out the fuel tank, replaced a rear brake line, bleed the brakes front and back, replaced a split fuel hose before the filter, performed a basic MOT check and charged the battery up. The car then started first time and ticks over perfectly.

The original plan was for Ed to get the car fixed, serviced and MOT’d, The car has pretty bad rust on the rear arches, a patch on the driver’s door and another on the bonnet, but the main problem which Ed discovered was the rear sils underneath have also gone, which means the car needs quite a bit of welding to get it through an MOT.

The buyer who already knew about the bodywork rust after viewing the car was not put off by the rusted sils after I reduce the price accordingly, but getting the car back running from Ed just took a few weeks too long for him it seems.

I picked the car up from Ed a few weeks ago and the drive back home (along all the private roads between Chertsey and Farnborough ;) ) made me almost want to get it welded myself and keep it for another 18 years, but SWMBO has said it's time for it to move on. Even the back popping exhaust with flames flying out nearly melting the front bumper of her car as she followed me home was not enough to convince her. :(

So to summarise...

Good points:
Drives great, the engine feels as solid and strong as ever.
Very well looked after and maintained when it was in use.
Other than a couple of trips to Santa Pod for a few runs, it's never been ragged or tracked.
As long as I can find it all, I should have 18 years of paperwork to go with this car and as I’ve already said I’ve been it’s only UK owner.

Bad Points:
The rust. Rear arches, drivers door, bonnet corner and sils. The outside photos below are recent, just before Ed picked it up in June this year, so should give you an idea.
Brakes are also pretty poor. Ed bleed them, but advised that the pads are warn and picked up a lot of the surface rust off the discs from where the car had been sat still for a long time.
Front windows both sides don't seem to work. I've not had a chance to check the fuses even, so could just be that, or as it's both sides possibly the module in the driver’s door?
Fuel gauge seems to have stopped working. I only noticed this on the way back from Ed's. Could just be the sensor inside the tank, or maybe a fuse as well. I'm sure it was working before Ed collected the car, so possibly something knocked during the cleanout?

Spec (of what I can remember):
1992 (K)
Standard un-molested engine.
A'PEXI AVC-R boost controller running 1bar set up by Abbey Motorsport on their rollers. It's never had a bleed valve fitted!
A'PEXI S-AFC fuel computer set up to slightly over fuel as well by Abbey Motorsport to keep the engine safe. Back popping and flames are an additional bonus!
Rare Turini Front bumper with spot lights (I've never wired the spots up though).
Helix Organic clutch.
HKS TRUST air filter.
Mongoose stainless steel exhaust & De-Cat (from the turbo back).
HKS Spark Plugs (I think?)
Wilwood 310mm discs & 4 pot calliper brakes
OZ Superleggera 16" alloys
Momo Steering wheel with "Snap Off" boss and keys
Momo Carbon gear knob
Sony head unit with 10disc multi changer
JBL 6x9 speakers on custom made rear shelf
Plus loads of weird stuff from Japan like an air purifier on the roof with a "Flight of the Navigator" style map reading light, knee pads and an original clutch pedal bracket that Steve Pudney (if he's still around) re-produced for owners if their pedal ever went wobbly!

Probably even more stuff I have long since forgotten about?

I’m asking just £2,000, which I think is a bargain, especially if you can get the welding done yourself, or have a mate that can do it for you. You’d end up with a moderately well spec’d reliable “R” for many years to come that will appreciated in value for very little money.

Any questions please ask.

Last edited:

Fusion Ed

Just FYI the old fuel had gone so stale that it totally rusted up the fuel pump in the tank. I imagine the same has happened to the sender, which will be why it doesn't work. It just needs replacing. (I've seen this happen before)

Curtis

Just FYI the old fuel had gone so stale that it totally rusted up the fuel pump in the tank. I imagine the same has happened to the sender, which will be why it doesn't work. It just needs replacing. (I've seen this happen before)
Thanks Ed.
Just to add, Ed is a great guy and very knowledgeable with these cars so highly recommended for any work. Just book up early as he's very busy! :)

RAB-GTi-R (LDN)

@Curtis I'm sorry to hear that your selling the motor but happy it's on here for someone else to enjoy.
I'm in London mate, if you decide to keep her, I'd be more than happy to help you weld her up. FYI there are a few clean sunnys on Gumtree that can be harvested for sills and arches.
Say the word brv and you can have another 18 years out of her!
Pm me anytime bud.

keastygtir

people are put off with your honesty on the rust IMO. I think its refreshing that you have advertised the car straight up as it is, plus anyone thinking any R thats been over here a few years is rust free needs to go digging because I am pretty sure it wont be.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
That's what people are seeming to be doing nowadays.
I'm starting to see more people addressing / repairing the body work
wise or they are dealing the damage.

warpspeed

Aye? don't see many people sorting the turrets where the problems come from in the first place.....
I'm expecting to see a fair few shells in the coming years to literally fall apart at the back with potentially deadly consequences.

Status
Not open for further replies.