GT28RS VS. GT2871R

K

krikra

As I've posted in the problem solving forum my turbo is now dead :(

Doesnt really matter cause that just forces me to find a good turbo which I would soon need anyway.

I will be making somewhere around 350hp for now.
Ive been looking at the well known GT28RS which will be OK for that. But I really like the new GT2871R. This will also allow me to make a little more power if I need that later on..

The price is (almost) the same. Both are < 1200$

Both turbos are "direct fit" or at least the turbine housing is and the water + oil is too :D

Million dollar question is; how much more laggy (if at all) will the new GT2871R actually be??

Could anyone please help me out on this that would really help me decide..

http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/m...OD&Product_Code=GRT-TBO-022&Category_Code=GRT

If any better ideas feel free

zia

you,ll find that the gt28rs has different inlet comp ( does not have two bolt pipe) and outlet flanges than stock, there not much difference between the two so if your serious about power get the 2871. they will pretty much spool up same + or- 500 rpm i,d say

zia

GINGA

I'd go with the 2871 as by looking at the dyno graphs they spool the same but the 2871 just makes more more and has a better rev range also 8)

K

krikra

Thanks for the answers

I realize that the compressor in/out piping is not a direct fit but thats not really a big problem..
Its more important with the T25 exhaust housing and the water+oil lines!

Its a difficult choice. Talked to ATP and they said that the 2871 would spool up 300rpm later. Not much I'd say.. for a turbo that can produce 50 hp more :?:

The dyno comparison shows more like 500rpm difference if you look at max torque and max hp points. But still not much.

Is a 300-500 rpm spool up difference really that noticeable??

M

memski

krikra said:
Is a 300-500 rpm spool up difference really that noticeable??
I really don't think you will notice the difference, go for the extra hp.

G

Graal

Is the Garrett GT28RS the same than HKS GT-RS ?
I'd like to know witch than the HKS GT-RS and GT2871R is the best for lag and power.

Thanks guys

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
HKS/ATP, Probably as most of the bits are made by Garret anyway.

I've asked myself a similar question to the which is better above and althought the lag is one consideration, when you look at the curves in general the RS has better torque lower down... most people seem to ignore the left og the chart and just look at the right.

If you never want more than 350, go for the RS as between 300 and 350 it looks best all round, period. If you want between 350 and 400, then go for the 2871.

Simple really...... except deep down I want 380 and not 350 :?
I just need my brain to convince my heart.

G

Graal

Who is Dave Perry ? an e-mail ?

so, i have a big mods on my 'R with the stock turbine, i seems odd but the dyno give +/- 400 HP :shock: should i change my stock turbine ????
I don't know if the GT2871R will give me more torque or power....