Gt2860?

pulsarmoley

Hi all, been a member for a while but finally need some help/info. I have just had my engine rebuilt and also require a new turbo. Didn't want standard, nor a big hp producing one i.e. 2871/3071. I want one thats quick spooling. So i spoke to Bob:boby: and he advised me on a GT2860 (disco potato) quicker than standard spool up and more power. I ordered one through a friend and got a GT2560 466541-1 instead(its changed to this number according to the garrett website). Just wondering if anyone has ever fitted one of these and are they quick spooling? The garrett website says they can produce up to 330hp which is what im looking for but, could anyone tell me at what boost pressure i would see this figure?
My specs are:
87mm JE pistons
HKS 264 cams
Mildly ported standard manifold
2.5" evotrust stainless system
walbro 255 fuel pump
ARC topmount

Any info greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
What do the compressor maps on the Garrett website tell you? - I'm no expert in reading them, but I'm pretty sure they tell you what you want to know.

I'm a little concerned though that your mate has ordered the wrong one. - The Disco Potato is a GT2860RS (739548-1?), but again I don't really know I just remember the RS bit on the end.

P

pulsarboby

are you surw thats a 2560 pete?
i only saw it breifly and never really took much notice as you said it was a 2860.

if that is the case and it is then i dont think its much of an improvement over a standard tubby (other than being roller bearing) a standard unit in good condition can handle 330+
can you not change it for a bigger one?

pulsarmoley

are you surw thats a 2560 pete?
i only saw it breifly and never really took much notice as you said it was a 2860.

if that is the case and it is then i dont think its much of an improvement over a standard tubby (other than being roller bearing) a standard unit in good condition can handle 330+
can you not change it for a bigger one?
Well on the garrett website it says:
"The biggest change related to the nomenclature is this: units which utilize a 53mm turbine wheel (as measured at the inducer) are now referred to as "GT25" frame size, while units employing the slightly larger 53.85mm turbine wheel are now referred to as "GT28" frame size.
For those familiar with our product range, this means that the unit formerly known as "the GT28R" (part number 466541-1) is now in the GT25R family. More specifically, it is now a GT2560R model"
I was told by my friend that i cant return it as it was a special order and that it is a GT2860, but the above says otherwise :der:... im confused. Do u reckon it would spool quicker than standard though? If yes then ill probably stick with it. Im getting a massive headache over this thing :evil:. Thanks for the input guys :thumbsup:

geoff pine

Well on the garrett website it says:
"The biggest change related to the nomenclature is this: units which utilize a 53mm turbine wheel (as measured at the inducer) are now referred to as "GT25" frame size, while units employing the slightly larger 53.85mm turbine wheel are now referred to as "GT28" frame size.
For those familiar with our product range, this means that the unit formerly known as "the GT28R" (part number 466541-1) is now in the GT25R family. More specifically, it is now a GT2560R model"
I was told by my friend that i cant return it as it was a special order and that it is a GT2860, but the above says otherwise :der:... im confused. Do u reckon it would spool quicker than standard though? If yes then ill probably stick with it. Im getting a massive headache over this thing :evil:. Thanks for the input guys :thumbsup:
Just found this from Ci motor sport there talking about the disco potato gt2860rs* Ball bearing as an upgrade to the one below
* Oil & Water-cooled bearing system
* Upgrade turbocharger for GT2554R (471171-3) and GT2560R (466541-1); turbine housing flanges are outline interchangeable
* T25 turbine inlet flange
* Great size for applications w/ packaging constraints
* Ideal for smaller displacement engines making up to 360 hp
* Turbine Housing option available
Which i think means that the one they have sent you is the wrong one .

P

pulsarboby

if you cant return it then just bolt it up pete, it will spool quicker than your old unit for sure.
providing it makes 330ish which im sure it will then you wasnt planning on running more than that anyway so youll deffo have a much quicker car.
and as i said the other day.....if your planning on going on track with car then it is plenty enough power to blow most things away, the handling and stopping is the most important thing with which your already dealing with;-)

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
It won't hurt; the GT2560 is essentially the turbo from an S15 Silvia isn't it?

I

iomegalinux

near every turbo upgrade seam to spool quicker than that oem journal bearing things....
even a massive gt3071r, it's simply ridiculus...