gt28 v3071 ??

Keira

Odin said:
Just wait for max power kid to put you all right any minute now......
didn't the christmas edition of max power come out today ?

he'll be busy reading up tonight :lol:

Keira

GINGA said:
So what all that says is, theres no bloody chance of a wrc car doing a 10 sec 1/4 then :lol:
not unless it was on one of those dodgy downhill jap drag strips or crail :lol:

Fusion Ed

deisel weasel said:
Ed, i feel like our brief internet relationship has moved to a new level as im going to agree with you again :lol:
I'm quite glad about that, it may give me a momentary chance to relax on here for just a second!!... btw your post above, I can't fault anything said in that, spot on! glad someone else things that about crail too hahaha.

O

Odin

Micra Ed said:
I'm quite glad about that, it may give me a momentary chance to relax on here for just a second!!... btw your post above, I can't fault anything said in that, spot on! glad someone else things that about crail too hahaha.

:shock: :shock: for f*cks sake you two get a bl00dy room will you :roll: :roll: :roll: .

Rob

P

pulsarboby

>quote For a daily driven, quick down the twisties or round a circuit car you want as much torque as early as possible for as long as you can realistically get it within your rev range <quote

you have just confirmed the answer to my earlier question kieron:-D exactly my point, huge bhp and torque, good on dragstrip but crap round the streets and on curcuit, as its truly wasted!
lets face it, with the exception of a small minority, how many people on here will use that big bhp and torque figure, other than on a dyno???
and for what?

its cost them thousands of pounds to say that theyve recorded 400 or 450+ on a dyno, which they will never use in reality (serious drag boys aside).
would they not be better to invest there hard earned in something more sensible ie some extra chicken nuggets down mcd's or a life long membership of max power! or better still with a little more saving they could buy a gorgeous calibra and have some money left over to bling it up a little!
its all beginning to make sense now:thumbsup:

Boooooost

"So what all that says is, theres no bloody chance of a wrc car doing a 10 sec 1/4 then "

Surely that would also depend on what gear box ratios they are running?

turblio

Well my 3071 as supplied by Fusion is very very nice and (rips the shit out of the tarmac) so there (all said in a julian clarey style as its such a gay subject anyway)

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Words from Garrett on choosing the right turbo. If you can get your head round it its an interesting read and very relevan to the original question.

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/tech_center/turbo_tech103.html

My take on all this is I remember when we were all trying to rag T28's on these cars to deliver upto 380hp with all sorts of talk of water injection etc etc. The basic problem was above 340hp, depending on your engine's VE, we were right on the choke line for the compressor map. Engines were having problems. Rob and others proved that its better just to fit a bigger turbo/injectors and get it mapped properly to achieve the same target.

This talk of ragging the 3071 to 450hp gives me Deja vu. Technically it might be possible but IMO if you're trying to push the turbo that hard then you've fitted the wrong turbo

GINGA

pulsarboby said:
>quote For a daily driven, quick down the twisties or round a circuit car you want as much torque as early as possible for as long as you can realistically get it within your rev range <quote

you have just confirmed the answer to my earlier question kieron:-D exactly my point, huge bhp and torque, good on dragstrip but crap round the streets and on curcuit, as its truly wasted!
lets face it, with the exception of a small minority, how many people on here will use that big bhp and torque figure, other than on a dyno???
and for what?

its cost them thousands of pounds to say that theyve recorded 400 or 450+ on a dyno, which they will never use in reality (serious drag boys aside).
would they not be better to invest there hard earned in something more sensible ie some extra chicken nuggets down mcd's or a life long membership of max power! or better still with a little more saving they could buy a gorgeous calibra and have some money left over to bling it up a little!
its all beginning to make sense now:thumbsup:
Ahhh but It all depends on where the huge bhp and torque are in the rev range and whether the chassis can handle it, slapping on a 3071 (till theres something better) and running it at 1.5bar ish will give you a very fast and driveable R, which shouldn't put excessive stress on the rest of the car, push the boost further and the torque rises which then puts extra stress on the car aswell as causing traction issues etc.
Its all a fine ballancing act really and the difficult bit is not going to far ;-)

R-Type

"This talk of ragging the 3071 to 450hp gives me Deja vu. Technically it might be possible but IMO if you're trying to push the turbo that hard then you've fitted the wrong turbo"

Bingo

skiddusmarkus

GINGA said:
Do you remember when you ran 12.3 in Rob's car? now do you also remember the estimated 0-60 time from the meter thing you had fitted at the time? I believe it was around a 3.6 sec time which would be about right on a drag strip, now I also believe the terminal speed was 110mph....... you can see where i'm going with this can't you :lol:
So bearing in mind that Rob's car and the wrc car have a very similar power to weight ratio, does this not prove that it could indeed take another 9 or so seconds? I'm sure the gear change on the wrc car will be much quicker but then it also needs to make a extra gearchange in that distance.

Also heres the results from the performance calculator for a wrc car

Power at Flywheel (BHP) : 330
Weight without Driver (KG) : 1230
Power to Weight Ratio (BHP Per Ton) : 272.60
0 - 60 (Secs) : 3.85
0 - 100 (Secs) : 10.08
60 - 100 (Secs) : 6.23
Quarter Mile (Secs) : 12.52
Terminal Speed (MPH) : 111.44
Drag Strip Quarter Mile (Secs) : 12.12
Drag Strip Terminal Speed (MPH) : 115.21

Strangley similar to what the wrc car actually did at Santa pod isn't it ;-)

Edited to add..... isn't it nice to have half sensible discussions on here for a change :thumbsup:

Ofc I remeber beating Rob's PB by over 0.5 seconds Paul,how could I forget?Or let him forget :D.
There's no way a WRC car takes so long to go from 60-115 or whatever though.Most performace calculators are based on road going cars,and a WRC car only really resembles the car it's base don in as much as they have the same shell.They may only have 300-330bhp but not all 300bhp are equal,some are more equal than others :).They are basicly chosing to have that power due to the regs.

BTW there's only one way to test this theory out IMO and that is..........................................Grand Tourismo :p.Don't just take stnard gearbox settings either,**** abotu with the gear ratios.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
iirc WRC are all limited to 300hp but have higher torque figures

2006 Focus WRC car:

Power bhp (kW) at RPM: 300(224) / 6000rpm
Torque lb-ft (Nm) at RPM: 406(550) / 4000rpm

Keira

GINGA said:
the difficult bit is not going to far ;-)
are you trying to say that having a stripped out, super light weight with 60% of the panels made of grp, big turbo, obscene duration cams, dogbox and nitrous injected gtir wont be any good for popping to mc'donalds to pick up chicks with ?

GINGA

skiddusmarkus said:
Ofc I remeber beating Rob's PB by over 0.5 seconds Paul,how could I forget?Or let him forget :D.
There's no way a WRC car takes so long to go from 60-115 or whatever though.Most performace calculators are based on road going cars,and a WRC car only really resembles the car it's base don in as much as they have the same shell.They may only have 300-330bhp but not all 300bhp are equal,some are more equal than others :).They are basicly chosing to have that power due to the regs.

BTW there's only one way to test this theory out IMO and that is..........................................Grand Tourismo :p.Don't just take stnard gearbox settings either,**** abotu with the gear ratios.
I didn't think you'd forget Rob only just scraping into the 12's while you were getting 12.3's in his car :lol:
I agree that not all 300bhp's are equal but still say theres no way a 330hp/430ftlb 1230kg car is going to get anywhere near a 10 sec 1/4 even with the best gearbox ratio's in the world, I just don't think its possible unless they can get a 60ft time of 1 sec :lol:
Grand Tourismo thats as bad as Max power :lol:
I did think of a way to find out, and thats to time them from the onboard footage where they have the speed showing, that should give a good idea of how quick they get to 100ish, just need some suitable footage now :roll:

stumo

deisel weasel said:
are you trying to say that having a stripped out, super light weight with 60% of the panels made of grp, big turbo, obscene duration cams, dogbox and nitrous injected gtir wont be any good for popping to mc'donalds to pick up chicks with ?
It's not got a BMW badge** so yes it would be good for popping to maccyD's but no , you won't pick up any chicks.

**and the suspension would be too hard, too noisey, no leather seats, no Bose stereo, no chrome wheels........

GINGA

deisel weasel said:
Well at least the food would be still warm when you got home I suppose ;-)

Fusion Ed

I wonder how md's junk would survive under that kind of g-force however..

(edited due to popular demand!)

Last edited:

stumo

it doesn't deserve to be called food, g-force or no g-force!

(i think it would still be intact, just as it would after a nuclear war, only scorpions and MaccyD's would survive)

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Micra Ed said:
I wonder how md's food would survive under that kind of g-force however..
Why eat McDonalds? - it taste like shit anyway

Subway seems to be the only thing worth getting atm :thumbsup: