Gimmie all you got

Jen-italia

Ok, I introduced myself in another thread, but Hi Im jen.

Ok, so I have a 91 R, with only catback 3" and a turbo timer.

Tell me everything I need to know about this car. Its faults, what breaks often, the the first thing you modify, the brand of choice for modification of certain things, etc. Basically, what should I expect? What do I have to do? I want to drag race this car, I want it to run about a 12 in the quarter. Stock here these cars run between a 14.5 and a 13.8 second pass. Depending on the driver. I haven't done a base run yet.

B

Beachsleeper

Welcome to the forums, Enjoy learning about your new toy.

Jen-italia

ok well I did look on there and everything I clicked on was basically a dictionary definition explaining what the certain part was. I already know all that jazz. But ok....

gunmetalgtir

Jen-italia said:
I'm not quite a bud.

I am female.
Good! We need more ladies in here! :lol:

How much are you wanting to spend on it? You can have fast and cheap but it won't be reliable! And fast and reliable isn't cheap!!!

Get rid of the cat for a start!

Jen-italia

gunmetalgtir said:
Good! We need more ladies in here! :lol:

How much are you wanting to spend on it? You can have fast and cheap but it won't be reliable! And fast and reliable isn't cheap!!!

Get rid of the cat for a start!
I had already planned on 3" turbo back, the exhaust right now isnt loud at all but still has a nice tone, I like that and hope I don't lose that.

Haha, I use that saying all the time, Cheap, Fast or Reliable, pick two.

I modified 3 DSM's in my time, owned 6 of them, I know how it is to have stuff break all the time after you just spent tons trying to fix another problem, while trying to make the car fast at the same time. i want to upgrade the turbo, I have been told to get the Garrett GT28R turbo, or even the GT35R. Because thats just the size I wanna get. I am worried about lag, efficiency, what the motor can handle, etc.

So, I have only seen a couple of pics, but what boost controller do most of you guys use? How would a Apexi AVC-R do in this car? What kind of Stand Alone fuel management do you guys use? I have been told it will be hard for me to modify this car as there is a major lack of parts for it...

EVOBAD

just tweaked the car a little few mods to start with

walbro fuel pimp
a good boost controller
front mount intercoller
good free flowing exhuast

set boost for 1.1-1.2 max u should see300-320 plus hight 12 querter

Jen-italia

EVOBAD said:
just tweaked the car a little few mods to start with

walbro fuel pimp
a good boost controller
front mount intercoller
good free flowing exhuast

set boost for 1.1-1.2 max u should see300-320 plus hight 12 querter
Ah, a 255 lph HP Walbro? Good, I can get those cheap here. Probably have one in the garage from previous Talons.

AVC-R?
Profec B Spec II? ( i hate that thing )
I am getting a front mount (hopefully) from a buddy of mines dad, he has an R with about 350 bhp. He wants to get rid of it, and Ill be gettin some parts :-D

EVOBAD

u can use gready,hks or apexi all are very good plus gready emange is a good way to start in the ecu department as for turbo gt2871for up to 350-400 or gt3071 for 400-500bhp gt35 would be 2 big

Jen-italia

EVOBAD said:
u can use gready,hks or apexi all are very good plus gready emange is a good way to start in the ecu department as for turbo gt2871for up to 350-400 or gt3071 for 400-500bhp gt35 would be 2 big
I know of a Talon that has a GT35R running on a stock bottom end, at about 25 psi. Wouldnt that be about 1.7 bar to you guys?

Its holding up fine, the car just has some headwork. I just assumed it would be okay, since the car is a 2.0 L DOHC turbo stock... just as same... it just has a bit of a lag problem lol.

youngsyp

AVC-R's are a nice piece of kit. I'd recomment them, if you don't mind spending a bit of time setting it up.

As above, FMIC, 255 lph fuel pump etc... will all be good.

Turbo choice depends on your power, torque and spool up goals.

You might be best off to go for the Greddy Emanage (Ultimate) piggyback for fuel and ignition control. They're readily available everywhere and, should be easy enough to tune.
The AEM standalone unit seems to be getting a good following too though.

Jen-italia

youngsyp said:
AVC-R's are a nice piece of kit. I'd recomment them, if you don't mind spending a bit of time setting it up.

As above, FMIC, 255 lph fuel pump etc... will all be good.

Turbo choice depends on your power, torque and spool up goals.

You might be best off to go for the Greddy Emanage (Ultimate) piggyback for fuel and ignition control. They're readily available everywhere and, should be easy enough to tune.
The AEM standalone unit seems to be getting a good following too though.
AEM EMS seems ridiculously hard to understand. I've seen people trying to use it and tune it on the dyno, gives me headaches... plus it seems very expensive, but all in all worth it i guess, another talon I know of (sorry about the dsm thing) gained like 88 HP by exchanging his half piggyback half standalone to an EMS.

antgtir

A nice suspension setup would be good to as its amazing how much additional response you get from an uprated suspension setup.

Greddy are supposed to be the best out of the affordable units available lol, as already mentioned get the Greddy Ultimate for more control over fueling and timing etc.

Sod the drag sprints and get it on a track lol much more fun imo :)

Ant.