General Oil's and Brushes

DJ_Scooby

Hey guys, I'm pretty new to this forum so don't really have a feel for it just as to where what is etc. But what I really need to to know is what the best oil is for my gtir. Also what oil do I use for the gearbox and diffs? I'm also trying to find a nice set of bushes for the engine mounts and that all illusive "engine buffer rod" I think its called.... I really appreciate any help you guys could offer cheers :)

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Someone will probably tell me I've got this all wrong, but he's my 5p's worth:
  • I would buy a fully-synthetic oil (I prefer esther synthetic because it felt better when I switched, but I don't know if that means anything). Probably something like 10w50, but that depends what you're doing with the car.
    I know that some people run 10w60 for the extra protection for a hot engine.
    Some people run 5w50 because they want the cold weather performance.
    I suspect as long as you're somewhere in that range it doesn't make much difference.
  • Do you have a standard gearbox?
    If so, it's synchromesh so you need a GL4 specification oil in 75w90 IIRC - someone will correct me if that's wrong, but I think GL5 is really only for the transfer case and/or dif. - There is a specific requirement if you've got a mechanical LSD, but I can't remember what it is.
    If you get something like "Silktrans" it's both GL4 and GL5 so you can use it everywhere... is that right?
  • I'm not sure about the engine buffer. - Do you mean like the ones you see on Skylines and Silvias? Surely the engine is around the wrong way for that.
    I think VSS Irvine is a dealer for Superflex (or maybe Powerflex, I don't know). They are available on teh eBays, but why not support another member? - I think they're all the same; you need to cut/burn/push the old bushes out, then you can fit the new ones.

DJ_Scooby

thanks for that :) The car is mainly used to go to and from car shows and the odd track day. I had a new exedy clutch fitted and now that the torque is all being transferred there's a bit of clutch judder gearing down. So I took it back to the mechanic and after looking over the car thoroughly he showed me the engine mount bush "buffer rod" which has really seen its last day, so plan to do a proper job and replace all bushes while i'm servicing it. Would any Oil stockest have these's gearbox/diff oils? or are they a special order

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Opie Oils will carry all of these, but they're probably also available at most oil stockists. - Halfords for example will sell you a fully-synthetic engine oil, and probably the gear oil too. It may not be as good as something you might need to order, but if you're not really pushing the car that hard it's probably not a concern.

Was it one of those "dog-bone" buffer rods at the front and back? - I'd be interested in replacing those too. I'm happy enough with the rubber engine mounts because they keep noise and vibration down.