gearbox woes

Fire & skill

Vintage member
Well driving the R last night, went to change gear and nothing, couldnt select gear at all just sitting in neutral. free wheeled to a stop and still wouldnt go into gear, switched off the engine and it goes in, start the car up with clutch pedal to floor and the car starts off in gear.

does this sound like my clutch fork has went?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Sounds similar to when my clutch fork went the first time. Hard to get into gear with the engine running and easy with it off.
Have you tried double declutching but without the clutch? Mine would change gear easily without the clutch as long as you matched the revs.

Fire & skill

Vintage member
I cant get it into gear at all when the engine is running, but to do what you say I would have to start the car in gear and let it chug and jump forward until it drove off. I was ging to change the box soon anyways as its had a whine on it since ive owned the car (18 months).

Is there a simple way of checking the clutch fork or is it gearbox off time?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I would have to start the car in gear and let it chug and jump forward until it drove off.
That's what I did. Put it in 1st with the engine off then jumped it on the starter motor and drove to 90miles early one saturday morning without having to stop or use the clutch to change gear.

If it is the clutch fork it's gearbox off anyway, so wether it's box or fork the box is coming off. When my forks went the bit point got lower and lower as the fork went to the point the car would still move forward with the clutch to the floor when in gear.

Fire & skill

Vintage member
yeah, thanks for the help guys. I think its time to spend a bit more on the little bitch. will just get the box changed as well. after reading some other posts on the subject its looking likely that it is the clutch fork.

I should have added that its always been a right pain in the arse to get it into gear so its prob been on the way out for a while.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
The gaitor is on the fork... just next to the slave cylinder.

Just to confuse the issue, I had a similar thing happen... it wasn't the clutch fork (or the release bearing)at all; it was a failed plate with friction material stuck in the fingers of the cover.

Definitely clutch related though... which means you're going to need to split it no matter what. - Take a look first; try running a long screw drive along the fork to see if you can feel obvious holes or a bend in it. At the very least it will give you some idea of what parts are going to be needed.

wrc

Just on the front of the gearbox on the end of the clutch pipe, basically directly under the distributor. Lifts straight back for inspection (be a little bit careful with it).

pulsarmoley

Just to confuse the issue, I had a similar thing happen... it wasn't the clutch fork (or the release bearing)at all; it was a failed plate with friction material stuck in the fingers of the cover.
This happened to me last time my clutch went :doh:

whytie

Bet you it has something to do with the short shifter fitted. Every car I've picked up with one fitted changing gear is short but feels nasty.

Fire & skill

Vintage member
hmm, well I got the gaitor off and shone a torch down, I think the fork is actually ok - its just not doing anything, it could be a collapsed bearing.

a little vid I made :-D

[youtube]7GPuX6qLSCI[/youtube]

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Can you seen any more of the bearing? That didn't look too bad to me, but all I can see is what's in the video.

Fire & skill

Vintage member
well you can see me push the fork back to where it should be (9 secs in), its very loose like theres nothing pushing it back. I suppose there still a chance its pressure plate related as well or as stated a piece of friction plate is stuck somewhere! but should that bearing not come further back than that? I should also say that the clutch fork looked pretty straight