Gearbox options.

A

Anonymous

Hey all,

Firstly I shall introduce myself and my car. Aaron from NZ, on my second GTIR now. First GTI-R was the usual, filter, exhaust, I/C, chip, boost jobbie, 12.8 @ 171km/hr. This one is a little more serious.

My car's getting put back together now after a rebuild. Engine's been built to handle 450-500hp (so I've been told). But I'll probably be closer to 400hp (using GT2835). I'm guessing the std box won't handle this for too long?

There are heaps of GTIRs over here, but generally not too many making big numbers like you UK nutters.

So I've been lurking on list sifting through old posts on uprated gearsets. And basically there is the PAR and Quaife. But I also saw a post on going 4 speed. Obviously this will allow for wider, stronger gears without having to use dogs. Any idea if you can get "streetable" ratios out of these though?

moved to tuning...zia

A

Anonymous

Opps...can someone please move this to the Tuning/Upgrades? Sorry :oops:

Also, basically I want to be able to drive my car without babying everywhere in fear that gearbox will fail.

I do intend to take it drag racing, and would really like to give it a decent launch.

It also need to be low maintenance (which sort of rules out dogs - correct me if I'm wrong). Pref no maintenance besides from oil.

But will be street driven also.

Am I asking too much? :lol: I mean this is quite a big amount of money for me, so I'd like to do it once, do it right if possible.

PAR is good for me as OZ is nice and close, but opinions here seem to favour Quaiffe. But interested in what research some of you may have done on the 4 speed option which I think may be the strongest?? but is it "streetable"?

M

MarkMc

I also would like to know what other gearboxes are available? I broke my box recently :( . The end of the gearbox has broken off :?: . Now need whole new box.
So far I have got an estimate for Par rebuild it with a replacement box synchro not dog. Their prices were reasonable good I thought. I have also got an estimate for a Rally type gear box(from Vic AUS) straight gears cut ,all dogs all billet internals supposedly only using factory housing no Nissan parts. One cost roughly twice the other. Don’t know which one to go for :?: . Don’t know name of company.
I heard the dogs need to be taken out for maintenance too? How often do they need to be taken out for a service?

G

gagge

Im not an expert but this Is what Ive learned by talking to people rallying with the R in Sweden.

To Run a dogbox on the street isnt fun, especially if you are going to use the car as a daily driver. Also the dogboxes need to be taken apart and rebuild. The rally team Ive spoken to does this every 10th competition. He thought that would be about 1 year to a year and a halfs use of the dogbox on the street.

By browsing forums and talking to different people PAR and Quaife are the two options Ive found just as you guys.

I have never heard anything bad about Quaife and the lads over there are really helpful and Ive managed to make a buy on 2 sets now. Will arrange another groupbuy as soon as they have more gearsets ready.
http://forum.gtiroc.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=22275

Par however is a diffent story, about half of the people Ive talked to is having problem with the Par gearset, need machining is the most common problem. However the other halft says Par is perfect and fits right on without problems and will not brake

The decision is for the buyer to make but I am going for the quaife as I think it speaks for itselft after talking and reading about quaife.

This post might not have helped but at least you get another guys opinion.

regards
Gagge

M

MarkMc

What can you tell me about the Quaife box. Standard ratios? What parts get replaced in the box gear sets, straight cut? etc… :?: ? Your group buy post mentioned about 2 months wait. My gear box is broken now unfortunately and need solution sooner :( :x .

G

gagge

Hey mate. well quaife is all out when it comes to the GTI-R gearsets.
Nothing I can do anything about really, they will contact me when the new batch is made, they said it would take about 3 months when I asked, but this was about 1 month ago so Im guissing it will take about 2-3 months now.

The gear ratios are as follows below

1st: 2,615
2nd: 1,765
3rd: 1,238
4th: 0,917
5th: 0,741

The gears are helical as Ive understood it with means not straight cuts but not as angled as stock either. When I rebuild my gearbox I will change all the parts inside the gearbox with brand new standard stuff, for example bearings etc.

If you have any tecniqal questions about the gearset please call or email quaife as Im not an expert on these gearsets, Im just arranging the buy.
The lads at quaife should be able to answer your questions as they are really helpful.

Regards
Gagge

N

N1SMO

Sellholm tunning AB do a box, i got this reply from them last week.

Hi
We only have a special made 5 speed Sequential gear box.
ratio between 2,75 on 1st to 0,8 on 5th
Price 95 000SEK incl VAT (1€ approx 9,2 SEK)
Regards Rikard Eliasson

a bit on the expensive side for me.

A

Anonymous

N1SMO said:
this is also a dog box so would be not much good on the road.

the quaife box is very good and will take a lot more abuse{torque} than what quaife themselves say it will take but,it too requires a little bit of machining to fit if it is to be 100%.the gearset is also strengthened a bit with a little stress relieving :shock:

there were issues with the quaife gearset but they have mainly been resolved with the issue 3 gearset and a little machining.

i heard there were some problems with par but have no 1st hand info on that.

i did however have some major problems with the becker gearset but can only talk about that in private :wink:

i went for the quaife gearset because if anything did go wrong it was not thousands of miles away from me if transportation was required.

if you do decide to go the quaife route,i`d rec`d renewing every bearing in the box along with the gear linkage on the side of the box.it`ll be expensive but,it turns it into a really strong gearbox with a great shift :D

G

gagge

Sellholm is in sweden and Ive been talking with them to. Unfortunatly the gearset they are using is developed 8 years ago and themselves advise you to do a evo transpant instead of buying the set. At least this is what they said to me after a long talk with them.
And as you said, its a dogbox which in my opinion is just stupid to use on the road for a daily driver car.

Nad

N1SMO said:
Sellholm tunning AB do a box, i got this reply from them last week.

Hi
ratio between 2,75 on 1st to 0,8 on 5th
Price 95 000SEK incl VAT (1€ approx 9,2 SEK)
Regards Rikard Eliasson

a bit on the expensive side for me.
Gagge said they do a dog box for £2500 but didnt say it was sequential, although for £7000 if it is that a bargain.

Nad

G

gagge

hey there.. 2500 was the price I was given from a rally team that uses the sellholm boxes. Not from sellholm directly that is.
I talked to sellholm about a month ago and they didnt have any sequential box for the R then and I dont think they have now either but hey I can be wrong...