gearbox in situ

zia

had to get loader today because couldn,t get it into gear, has been making whining/rumbling on start up and deceleration. stopped at petrol station and nothing couldn,t select gear. so A A picked me up and have managed to strip box but carn,t get the damp thing off as it hit's n/s/f driveshaft curve area. treid rotating box but no good. have left transfer box in place, should i take it off? anyone done one in situ?

zia

ChrisS

Ive done one in situ, but its a few years since. Think i ended up dropping the engine slightly to get it out. Its probably easier to drop the engine and everything.

antgtir

You have to tilt the end of the engine to angle it away from the area mentioned :(

Never actually done it myself but have seen the guys do it at RC when they fitted the clutch's lol.

You have to be carefull with the air con pipes and any other pipes connected to the engine as tilting it will obviously put strane on them.

Ant. :wink:

O

Odin

Yes I'v done it that way to, you just have to drop that side of the engine :wink: , Would of been easyer to drop the lot in the first place though lol :lol: .

rob

ChrisS

Would of been easyer to drop the lot in the first place though lol .
Problem is you realise that once youve got to a point where youve no option but to carry on with the way your doing it. :?

O

Odin

ChrisS said:
Would of been easyer to drop the lot in the first place though lol .
Problem is you realise that once youve got to a point where youve no option but to carry on with the way your doing it. :?

Yes I agree :wink: . I found out the hard way same as you bud :oops: :cry: .

I had my engine in and out 3 times now so am just about starting to get used to it lol.

rob

Fire & skill

Vintage member
i did it by undoing N/S engine mounts etc and dropped it down at that side, wasnt as bad as i expected TBH, all in took 6 hours to strip and put back together

zia

well managed to drop the box, had remove the transfer box as the gearbox would not come off the transfer shaft and have puny car stand's worn,t go very high at all and with 2 ton poxy car jack.
well had look at the damage and at first couldn,t see any problem's. the release bearing was fine. gearbox all ok, can select all gear's.
Took at look at o.s giken and rotated it;s no visiable mark on the pressure cover. took the flywheel in my hand's and rotated it. :evil: what the f.o.o.k it had about an inch side to side movement (how the can that be)
took off the o.s.giken and load off dust and shit came out when i came to taking out the final plate. low and behold :evil: :shock: the cuase of my mishap would you beleive that i find two flywheel bolt's broken :shock: :shock: (yes two that what i said) the mystery only thicken's.one has the tip broken and one completely sheard head off. on the lucky side they didn,t snap flush. oh before you say it. i didn,t fit the combo bought it from good dude who's name i will not mention in case he's blamed. but pretty sure certain tuner fitted it but carn,t say for sure. as have no evidence. (wished i had checked it before installing it in the car) :cry: well the plate's are fooked the rear face off the flywheel is f.o.o.ked heat mark on all plate espcially the plate that goes inside between cover and first clutch plate is has turned blue!!!.the first clutch plate is now concave.second plate has hairline crack's rivet chewed up. and surface of the crank is pitted and has heat mark's. it seem's my option's are limited. have spent shit load's on the car this year and now this. :cry: :cry: . have narrowed down the failer to two thing's.

zia