gearbox/ drive shaft problems

bengilmore

Very bad clonking noise coming from the driveshaft, its still in because the car will still drive.

Also when the clutch is engaged, as in foot off the clutch pedal there is a rubbing/grinding noise coming from the box, it stops whenever you put your foot back on the pedal.

A little hard to get into gears but maybe im just being paranoid about that one.

Gearbox was rebuilt with new 5th gear, layshaft and input shaft and also AP racing organic clutch only 3500 miles ago.

And no i don't launch or rag it.
Any ideas?
Is my box fcuked again?
Is it possibe that something has gotten stuck in the box

Cheers
Ben

Nigell_d6

Hi,

Drive shaft is probably the Cv joint, with regards to your rubbing noise from the clutch, gear box, could be a multitude of sins, even after a rebuild and new clutch, although saying that, if it is stopping on depressing the clutch could be easily the release bearing. To check anything in this area its a hassle so you may as well check the lot, however drive shaft first, get rid of that noise. Need more info as to when the noise happens etc,etc,etc

Having not heard it this is the normal thing with driveshafts,

Regards

Nigel

bengilmore

Don't think its the CV joints as it happens when you drive straight and not the cracking noise of cv joints when turning.

Was thinking about the release bearing but its only 3,500 miles old, could it go that quick?

Could the clonking noise from the driveshaft be one of the spider ends breaking at the end of the driveshaft, the end that goes into the box?

bengilmore

I'm gonna take the box out and change the release bearing, but was wondering has anyone else had problems with the release bearing supplied with the AP organic clutch??

And also is the release bearing specific to the AP organic clutch or will a standard nissan do??

Aimee

Moderators
Staff member
A standard nissan release bearing should be ok, you shouldnt have to get a specific AP bearing.

My bf had this noise when he foot was off pedal, as soon as he'd put clutch in it stopped, it was like a murmur/werring noise (low screech).

In the end he changed the clutch to the AP organic & it was the release bearings from what i can remember, or was it the flywheel...i can't remember now :lol: :lol: