gearbox case strenghen kit

Trip

I am not aware there is such a thing for the weak GTIR gearbox. 00sid did a bracing plate to help the integrity of the casing.
Do a search and you will find loads of detail about cracking gearboxes.

ChrisS

Dooie Pop Pop said:
i looked for that its not listed on his site though. has anyone had a gander at Mo' s?
Mo and soggy have both had the mod done, basically a plate welded on to the end of the casing where the shafts seem to make an unwanted appearance. Looks a very neat job and certainly seems to be holding out so far. Apparantly they used to do something similar to the casings when they were rallying them for the same casing problems. Mo has also had his quaiffe reshimed to remove/add some pre load. Cant remember which way round it is at this time on a sat morn.

Dooie Pop Pop

ChrisS said:
Mo and soggy have both had the mod done, basically a plate welded on to the end of the casing where the shafts seem to make an unwanted appearance. Looks a very neat job and certainly seems to be holding out so far. Apparantly they used to do something similar to the casings when they were rallying them for the same casing problems. Mo has also had his quaiffe reshimed to remove/add some pre load. Cant remember which way round it is at this time on a sat morn.

cheers for that Chris thats quite interesting..... i say interesting because many people thought that any welding on the casing would be a nightmare to get right but i dont doubt what you say fella;-)

speaking as a mong iv absolutely no understanding of the shimming process:oops: maybe someone could get a comment from Ian?...

GINGA

Dooie Pop Pop said:
speaking as a mong iv absolutely no understanding of the shimming process:oops: maybe someone could get a comment from Ian?...
The shafts in the box need to either have a certain amount of freeplay or preload, if the shafts have excessive freeplay the shaft can move back and forth to much, this can lead to gear selection problems and sometimes jumping out of gear, its also possible that if the free play is excessive the tiny momentum that it could muster, could cause the casing to crack due to the shaft basically smashing into the casing under load.
Excessive preload can cause the bearings to wear prematurely, some gearboxes are set up so the shafts run with little preload, so the shafts/bearings are held under constant pressure, this stops the shafts moving. The level of freeplay/preload is generally adjusted by shims placed behind the bearings or bearing races to get the correct setting.