Gearbox baulk (synchro) rings?

Cosmic73

Hello All,
I've stripped my gearbox and noted 2nd gear has too much float and synchro wear so i need to get a new one?
Is a dealership the best/only place to get this?
:)

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Yeah, that's were I get all my gearbox parts from.
Don't bother with second hand parts unless absolutely necessary, you don't know how much wear they've had and could potentially break within weeks.

Cosmic73

yeah, i agree. I've never understood why some people buy parts like timing chain, baulk rings, cam shafts etc 2nd hand.
It's not much more money to buy them new and get peace of mind after all the effort of fitting them.
:innocent:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I guess if you got them for the same price as scrap you might risk it? - I've had second hand parts that looked worse than the ones I've already got before (generally thrown-in for free when I bought something else).

The Doc

Moderators
Staff member
Check the main shaft for wear too , you cannot by all parts from nissan new now such as gearbox cases,

Cosmic73

All other synchro gaps and gear floats are within spec, just 2nd synchro is out of spec.
Ive removed the bearings which allowed me to slide off the 2nd synchro which is a dual cone type.
Will Nissan sell both wear rings as a set? The reason i ask is that the manual and Nissan4u only states one part number this 3260479E00?
:frowning:

splmum

The 2nd gear synchro (Baulk Ring) comes as a 2 piece bi-metal (Brass and Steel) part, as a single unit kit (one part number).

Cosmic73

Thanks for clearing that up Splmum, that's good news. :)
I've just came back from my works measurement labs where i measured the wear limits on the removed synchro and both are well in spec at 0.8 and 0.7mm.
This is good news in that i can reuse them (tbh there was no signs of wear on any of the grooves).
But, i'm wondering why 2nd gear endfloat was so sloppy? It must be a worn thrust washer somewhere on the shaft.:worried: