Gear selection issues

Jonnie R

Took the car out for a long deserved lap the other week only to find it increasingly difficult to engage third gear. The higher the revs in second the harder it would be to engage third and past 6k it would crunch into third.
I had the box with quaife internals fully overhauled with new bearings etc only 18 months ago so was slightly concerned.

So i started working the path of least expense. I have done the following so far.
1. dismantled the gear selection arms and rebuilt. Checked pedal assembly etc
2. replaced the slave cylinder
3 replaced the master cylinder

And yet the problem persists. So now the box has to come off as I suspect it may be due to the cheap SPEC (stage 3 metalocermaic?) clutch I installed. However, whilst the box box is off I will have to get the syncros checked. No way am I changing the clutch only to find I have to take the damn box off.... again.

Has anyone else had problems with SPEC clutches? I suppose I am trying to gauge how likely it is that it's the clutch and not the box.

Pain in the ass this car, my annual gearbox removal

Jonnie R

@ the Doc. Absolutely spot on.

Spend the money on strengthening the internals only to be let down by a spring.

Any way to avoid or reduce the chance of this happening in future? Box is currently with Gearboxman awaiting new clips/springs

The Doc

Moderators
Staff member
If youhave a quickshift...remove it, if you dont with new clips and a bit less aggression changing gear it should be fine...they just get old and loose there tension...same with the 5th gear ones...also the clutch not being quite dis engauged with spirited driveing will break them.