Garrett GTX Series

ckd281081

I'm considering going down the GTX road for my turbo choice, but the figures quoted by Garrett seem awful high (640bhp or so from a 3076r and 560bhp from a 3071r). Is anyone running anything from the GTX range?

Cheers

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I'd look at those figures as absolute maximums. It all depends on how well your engine is suited to the turbo and what boost you run.

ckd281081

yeah i appreciate that mate, thats why i thought i'd ask on here what are peoples experiences with them on our engines. I've definitely seen people say they have them so hopefully someone feeds back

The Doc

Moderators
Staff member
The power all depends on who builds and maps your engine and what spec it is and the ancilery parts such as intercooler will have an effect, there is things the sr20 in the gtir do and dont like, also with turbos just because the compressor will flow the air for the power it does not mean the turbine can expel the same energy if its not the right size...really you need to speak to what ever expert your using to see what matching spesification he has to create the reqiured realistic power spread for your give hp goal...there is a few members on here using billet turbos and running over 540 hp...be surprised if they will put detail up on a public forum of there spec .

I'm running a GTX3071R, it's at fusion still at the moment. It made 423 @ 1.5 bar boost. Hopefully going to be running at 2 bar after the new actuator is fitted but then I think at very best we're expecting high 400's!
I don't think we'd get those figures quoted on our old R's to be honest from these turbo's!

ckd281081

The power all depends on who builds and maps your engine and what spec it is and the ancilery parts such as intercooler will have an effect, there is things the sr20 in the gtir do and dont like, also with turbos just because the compressor will flow the air for the power it does not mean the turbine can expel the same energy if its not the right size...really you need to speak to what ever expert your using to see what matching spesification he has to create the reqiured realistic power spread for your give hp goal...there is a few members on here using billet turbos and running over 540 hp...be surprised if they will put detail up on a public forum of there spec .

yup,, i know that mate and cheers for the reply,, was asking though if anyones running one and what their experiences are with one.

ckd281081

I'm running a GTX3071R, it's at fusion still at the moment. It made 423 @ 1.5 bar boost. Hopefully going to be running at 2 bar after the new actuator is fitted but then I think at very best we're expecting high 400's!
I don't think we'd get those figures quoted on our old R's to be honest from these turbo's!
i think id be happy with high 400's if i was running a 3071 though. Would be good to hear feedback of a 3076. I've bought a Precision 6266, but the top end figure quoted is 710bhp, hence why im thinking of going a tad smaller. The aim was 600-650, but i'm hearing only horrible reports of how the R's are above 600

Slammo

i think id be happy with high 400's if i was running a 3071 though. Would be good to hear feedback of a 3076. I've bought a Precision 6266, but the top end figure quoted is 710bhp, hence why im thinking of going a tad smaller. The aim was 600-650, but i'm hearing only horrible reports of how the R's are above 600
Just wondering what the horrible reports are that you have heard of with R's above 600?

The Doc

Moderators
Staff member
No one hs bad experiance of an r above 600hp, you need a higher rev ceiling for the larger turbos, i run a billet 76r and it makes the same power as a larger turbo but lower in the rev range, another lad in liverpool runs a 35r making the same power but on a vvl head, and the two dans run 30 and 35r .

ckd281081

Theres a couple of guys ive chatted with now who say as a street car (which my car will also be), 600bhp is a nightmare. They say its simply too much, cant keep the thing in a straight line, and would recommend 450-500bhp for street.

Yeah Doc what you was saying about making the power higher/lower in the rev range, thats why im selling my 6266 and thinking of a 76r as i have a stroker engine. Im not likely to be able to extend my rev range and make the most of the 6266. In saying that though, i was chatting to another guy the other night who's just had a stroker engine built and put in. He says the engine builders he used (TDI) have PHD's in maths and physics, and have done loads of calcs which prove his rev limit will safely be 9krpm. Im keeping a close eye on it

ckd281081

This was a part of my pm i got off 1 of the guys

"With regards power, 600bhp is too much for the road in a Gtir and I wouldn't really want to do too many laps around the track at that power either lol.

In my opinion, 500 to 550 is manageable on the road with a bit of practice, 600 seems to take a bit too much concentration. I have R888 tyres but just the other day I was accelerating in 2nd round a bend and when the boost came in, the tyres lit up and redirected me towards the pavement."

The Doc

Moderators
Staff member
600hp in 2nd going round a bend....so 45mph and it lights the tyres up...no different at 500hp on r888 in winter...lol..extending rev range is fine if things are right..exceeding 25m/s on piston speed is great at 9000rpm in an engine.....that why manufactures dont do it and use short stroke these days.

Personally i would look at a hta or efr gor your spec as they do work alot better than the gtx ...or even a hks 3037 .

Slammo

Hi Doc, are you able to clarify this statement please?
"Exceeding 25m/s on piston speed is great at 9000rpm in an engine.....that why manufactures dont do it and use short stroke these days."
I can't quite work out if it's good or bad what you have said there? Thanks.

The Doc

Moderators
Staff member
Its not good to go over mean piston speed, it is why maufactures are reducing the stroke on engines as one issue major issue is the alloy piston fails...25m/s is classed as the max safe speed for longevity...you can go higher but you are sacrificing reliability....why do you think tomei state safe to 7krpm on there stroker kit,
If you plan on using a stroker kit and make say 500hp do you actually need to rev to 9k when the power will be tailing off by 7500rpm? Even with a 35r on a .82 housing the power would be tailing off at circa 8krpm with over 600hp on the right setup which would net you 3krpm of full boost drivability. Another point to look at would be the oil pump as it might start cavitating and starving the bottom end of oil, an american running 9500rpm had his shatter...maybe just bad luck.

Mad

GTX3582r will probably make 650 on a well setup 2.0 litre block.

600bhp on the road in a Gtir is too much although LSD will help.

I'd like to see how much a GTX3071r would max at bhp wise, I reckon around 500bhp will would probably be the ultimate all round performance in a Gtir.

HTA's are excellent as well as a 3076r which is a great combo of power vs all round performance and would probably make mid to late 500's if setup right, maybe 600 for the brave.

In my opinion, 500bhp in a Gtir is perfect, 550 is awesome and 600 is for the nutters

Slammo

Its not good to go over mean piston speed, it is why maufactures are reducing the stroke on engines as one issue major issue is the alloy piston fails...25m/s is classed as the max safe speed for longevity...you can go higher but you are sacrificing reliability....why do you think tomei state safe to 7krpm on there stroker kit,
If you plan on using a stroker kit and make say 500hp do you actually need to rev to 9k when the power will be tailing off by 7500rpm? Even with a 35r on a .82 housing the power would be tailing off at circa 8krpm with over 600hp on the right setup which would net you 3krpm of full boost drivability. Another point to look at would be the oil pump as it might start cavitating and starving the bottom end of oil, an american running 9500rpm had his shatter...maybe just bad luck.
Thanks for the explanation. What is the maximum rpms recommend for a standard GTIR stroke?

The Doc

Moderators
Staff member
Just for reference the btcc cars used the 54c block and had a de stroked crank to 82mm and a 88mm bore..8500rpm limiter, 23.23m/s mps...more likely the reason for doing this was to use a longer conrod for better rod ratio and longer dwell time for a more complete burn at higher rpm.