G/F Bonnets

bracpan

http://www.gti-r.com/misc4/PO/POindex.htm

Listed above is the pics of the bonnet I built for my car, I have also made the bonnet on the yellow hillclimb car we have seen pics of on the site.

If anybody is interested in having one made over the winter (find this the best time to work with the G/F) PM me.

I got the weight down on a single skin to 12lbs or less than 6kg on the yellow car, But also made one for a rally car was a bit stronger and was 14 lb, The Standard one is around 35lb.

Only thing is would have to be collected as there is no way would trust posting one of these.

Regards

Phil

Dooie Pop Pop

looks cool as fook mate 8)

any plans to make a flat one with no scoop? an evo style vent at the front to remove heat from the manifold and turbo would be very handy for people with a fmic :wink:

bracpan

Sorry no plans at all for a flat bonnet as I am not aloud to run one in the production class.
But if some one lent me a flat bonnet I could make a mould of it and produce flat ones from that, but I would need a good few interested as making the mould does cost a lot more than the bonnets.
I will be using the scoop on mine to get air to an intercooler and also ducting some over to the air filter.
Cheers
Phil

OZ-Racing

I see it says you can put the rubber moulds in if you have a tmic, are you also able to put the sparrow slicer in?

Approx how much would one of these cost?

Dooie Pop Pop

i think myself plus quite a few others would be seriously interested in a turini style bonnet 8)

all we need to do now is find one :roll:

:idea: (shouts) RISHI!!!! :wink: :wink: :wink: :lol:

bracpan

Taking a mould off another G/F bonnet is risky at it normaly de-forms they are not as rigid as a steel bonnet.
Making one from scratch is not impossible using a flat bonnet but one H ell of a lot of work, unless had a huge interest it would never be worth while.

Phil.

W

woodster

the bonnet looks sweet 8) 8) , and the weight saved is alot over standard components, But i really like the original bonnet with the grill over the main vent is there anyway of keeping that on the G/F bonnet :?:

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Dooie Pop Pop said:
i think myself plus quite a few others would be seriously interested in a turini style bonnet 8)

all we need to do now is find one :roll:

:idea: (shouts) RISHI!!!! :wink: :wink: :wink: :lol:

haha!... Don't think you'll be finding another one anytime soon mate...

You should have seen the mess of the one i bought - to be clear i knew this before buying it - but its now back to its former glory... Just waiting for these bloody valve springs so i can get my engine back...

Its been ready for 3 weeks just without valve springs now... :cry:

Then i'll go pick it up and have it fitted there too...

I'll post up some pics later JUST FOR YOU STU!... :lol: :lol: :p :p :wink:

Rishi

ChrisS

But i really like the original bonnet with the grill over the main vent is there anyway of keeping that on the G/F bonnet
Ive got a G/F composite bonnet on mine with the sparrow slicer in. However, the edges of the slats on mine arent the best and could do with some work to tidy them up. :(

Massive weight saving though :D

bracpan

Yes the bonnet I made for the Hillclimb car has the grill on it , made a mould of that to.
Would not recomend it with a top mount, its realy made for FM intercooler.
With the clean scoop the top mount will not fit
Phil

c20ona

Hey Phil, who done your vent ?. I was getting mine done exactly the same by someone but a year later and i'm still waiting ! :evil:
Cool hood though.

Kenny

D

disco dave

kenny if u ever gave me any contact details i caould talk to u about ur vent i havent had any time to do it as i explained to u in first place secondly where u butchered ur vent its made it very hard to work with as it keep breaking where u broke and cut out ur attemnt at the vent ive tried 3 times and every time i manage to break it on same joint that u broke it into 2 peices so tell full facts before u slate me pm me ur address and u can have it back this will me the 4 th time ive asked for these.....

D

disco dave

oh for got to say fibre glass bonnets wnt last long as they cant cope with the heat and thy will drop and look shit after a month or so...

Keira

disco dave said:
where u butchered ur vent its made it very hard to work with as it keep breaking where u broke and cut out ur attemnt at the vent .....
i've seen it, infact i was looking at it saturday... :wink:

i thought dave had had some special needs kids in helping him out it was that bad :lol: :lol:

c20ona

Dave, never mentioned your name so i never slated you mate (i'm not that petty). And in regards to the vent being previously broken, it never was. The peice i made / attatched to it broken off cos i rushed it. The vent itself is fine.
Tried to contact you on numerous occasions too but to no avail (phone number i had was wrong which was my fault, but did e-mail / pm etc).
None the less i'll pm my details anyway mate and thanks for trying.

Kenny

bracpan

As long as you apply some heat shield to the closest parts of the bonnet I have never had any problems, and have built body work for my Mini that had 200bhp under a very small bonnet. And its also easy to apply more venting if needed.

Welcome to have a look at mine been on for over 2 years and its Black.

Dont forget I can get one to almost a third of its weight of steel. Plus you can keep you normal bonnet for when you sell the car, I made mine to save weight and to make sure i did not damage the real bonnet as they are expensive to buy.

As for the scoop I made it from scratch building a mould off an original scoop and then modifting it to suit, took a while.

I am not realy interested in making more bonnet shapes as the moulds take up enough room now... :) Plus the demand is not there.

But if I could get a tailgate I might try and make one of them, the main problem is the glass as its so curved you might have to use that again as compond curving perspex is very difficult. As glass is heavy it would add weight back again, but you would save on the metal. Just an Idea.

Cheers

Phil

Cris

Surely the next thing to try would be G/F wings.

You want to loose weight from the from of the car (or rather I'd want to loose weight from the front of the car) and I'd guess those with knackered wings must outweigh those with knackered boots???