Fuel question

A

Anonymous

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of buying a gti-r, preferably as standard as possible with regards to engine upgrades. But I've been told that they need to run on Super Unleaded cos of the Octane rating. But R's have the same base engine as a 200SX which runs on normal UL. Can R's run on UL?
Also, what is a good brake upgrade kit that doesn't cost the earth? I'll be using the car daily to do 300 miles a week, how often should it be serviced?

Hope to join the club soon!

Cheers for the help

A

ard1ey

It can run on normal (95 Octane) unleaded, but you MUST have it set up to do so (base timing retarded a few degrees). You'll lose power by doing this though, and its at your own risk.

Running a lower octane fuel increases the chances of pre-ignition which will kill the pistons in short order unless you do the above mods. The GTi-R doesn't have the same engine as the 200SX - similar, but not the same.

Go for a brake kit that gives you larger discs while retaining the standard calipers, shouldn't be too expensive.

I believe the service schedule is 6000 miles, but don't treat that as gospel. Try searching the forum, see if anyone has posted it up.

geetee

There's no problem running an R on normal UL, you just need to retard the ignition a few degrees to stop it detonating.

But you really should STOP AND THINK

If you're at all concerned about a few pence per litre on fuel should you be buying an R at all?

They are expensive to keep on the road and sorted, the expense is nothing to do with what fuel they use. They are 10 - 15 year old rally cars and things break, they need a lot of service expense (compared to a 'normal' car).

Perhaps it isn't the car for you. I'm not trying to put you off.... they're great, but you have to look after them. If you cut corners and try to run it on the cheap it will bite your wallet in the arse big style.

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
If you buy a Sunny (the UK version) it should be mapped for unleaded, but maybe a sunny owner could confirm this?
If you buy a Pulsar,(import Gtir) they normally run on 100octane in Japan so you'll probably need to have the ignition timing retarded slightly.
You can make more power on 97/98 octane than normal unleaded anyway, so why use it? If it's a money issue, then you realy can't afford to run and service this car. :(

MarkTurbo

Fast Guy said:
If you buy a Sunny (the UK version) it should be mapped for unleaded, but maybe a sunny owner could confirm this?
Yes they are mapped to run on normal 95 ron unleaded :wink:

When i used to use mine to drive to work i always filled up with normal unleaded cos there was no point wasting optimax on journeys up and down the motorway, and my car is a uk spec anyway so it was set up for it.

I did fill up with optimax at w'ends though for thrashing it, just to be on the safe side :wink: