Fuel pump location.

N

Nik_GTI-R

Ok my car is supposedly fitted with a walbro 255 pump so im gonna check it just to make sure it has been fitted.
Basically im just checking that it has all the mods i was told it had.Rather be safe than sorry.
Where is it located??In the tank??Is it easy enuf to remove and check??
So far ive found that the pistons are standard(54c marked on top)but the previous owner wasnt sure so didnt say for definate that they were uprated.

Animaldaz

In the tank. Do a search, there is a 'how to' on fitting one so that will tell you how to look in the tank.

antgtir

Run your tank low so your not swimming in V Power.

The pump is actually in the tank and should, even though its possibly uprated still be sat in the oe cradle. Be careful not to knock the pick up pipe off although to be honest you can retrieve it no problems. If you run the tank low you may even be able to see some part numbers or a name on the pump without having to remove it. While your there you may as well re earth the pump to lol.

Ant.

Braveheart

If the pumps been changed, the wires inside the tank that go to the pump will have been crimped or soldered.

N

Nik_GTI-R

Ok had a quick look but cudnt get into the tank as i never had any spare jubilee clips incase the old 1s snapped.
I cudnt see any crimped wires,or are these actually inside the tank??Do i need to take off all the fuel pipes and unscrew the top b4 i can see if its been changed??
Maybe all common sense but id rather ask 1st.

Cheers.

Hi mate you do need to unscrew the big ring and remove the top of the tank. If you can't see the pump it is'nt too hard to pull out, just take a hold of it and slide it toward you. Yes the wires that should be crimmped are inside the tank connected to the pump.

Trondelond

It's a good idea to get a piece of wood or something to use between the big ring and a hammer, wouldn't budge when I was trying to get mine to open.
You at least have to remove that big ring and the lid, don't think you have to remove the piping to just have a peek in there. And yes, the wires will be inside the tank.

Here's a pic of what the inside of mine looks like with the ring and piping off. The white plastic up top there inside the tank is the frame for the pump.

gtir_pimp

when i had my walboro fitted i noticed there was a louder priming sound from the fuel pump when you turn the ignition on and when i put my foot down it made a louder sucking sound kind of like a normal car with just a K&N induction on it! sounds stupid but others have noticed it too

saddler

Nik_GTI-R said:
Yes i know it states it in the spec list but it also states HKS pistons.But i checked them yesterday and surprise surprise,54C stamped on top.
thats not good pal...

N

Nik_GTI-R

saddler said:
thats not good pal...
Well he didnt actually advertise it with the HKS pistons,he just said the previous owner told him they were fitted and wasnt 100% sure.But in a post he wrote on here(see the link on pg1)he said they deffo werent standard.

N

Nik_GTI-R

saddler said:
well its still a cracking car pal worth every penny..
Definetly and i dont regret it 1 bit.Im just trying to check all the bits that arent visible like the FMIC and HKS filter.It does however have the NGKR plugs as stated.My next worry after the fuel pump is the re-mapped std ecu.Dunno how im gonna check that tho.
My biggest worry is the FP tho,as its running 1.1bar i dont want it melting pistons.

Jonesy

If you take the cover off the standard ecu, there should be an extra board with a couple of chips soldered on it, if it has been re-mapped.

N

Nik_GTI-R

Jonesy said:
If you take the cover off the standard ecu, there should be an extra board with a couple of chips soldered on it, if it has been re-mapped.
I had a look behind the kick panel but it looked very tight to get out and didnt have much time.I will remove it 2moz and take a pic if i cant see anything thatl give it away.

N

Nik_GTI-R

Ok had a look 2day and all looks good.The wires from the pump had been crimped to the original loom.Heres a quick pic just so sum1 can confirm it is uprated.