Front Speakers

GTiRlover

I am after a new set of front speakers for my car. I say a new set but a set will do because I don't even have any at the moment:lol: Can anybody suggest some good quality speakers that are a direct fit. I have no other ICE in the car aside from 6x9's in the parcel shelf if that helps/ makes a difference.

Thanks

D

deslynam

Whatever you buy, in my opinion it is WELL worth the investment to line the doors with Dynamat or an equivalent sound-proofing sheet, so that you end effectively up with a half-decent speaker enclosure.
Visit the forum at www.talkaudio.co.uk for some decent 2nd hand stuff.

J

jpward

Who needs a 5" CD sound track when you have a 5" Goose burbling in the back :twisted:

I bought some nice 6.5" speakers direct fit only cos standards are poop i no ICE monster will dig out the model number think they were Ken's?

youngsyp

gunmetalgtir said:
Infinity components, don't bother getting coaxils.
They're hard to drive though so, if you don't run them through an amp, it's probably worth looking for a set that are more sensitive. And why not bother with co-axials ?

gunmetalgtir

Nonsense! I agree that they sound better through an amp, but if youv'e got a good quality head unit they'll sound good just being ran off of that. Not a fan of co-axils at all, because of where the speakers are positioned in the doors all the high end are going to be down where your feet are and sound p*sh.

youngsyp

gunmetalgtir said:
Nonsense! I agree that they sound better through an amp, but if youv'e got a good quality head unit they'll sound good just being ran off of that. Not a fan of co-axils at all, because of where the speakers are positioned in the doors all the high end are going to be down where your feet are and sound p*sh.
I said nothing about the sound quality, I said they're hard to drive ! ;-)

As for the co-axials, mine sound fine, and I've had some good systems in the past so, have a bit of experience !

gunmetalgtir

Bet they would sound 10x better if they were components. ;-)

I used to spec and fit sound systems for a living so have a bit of experience as well! :D

gunmetalgtir

Maybe not 10x then, but they will sound better due to being separate tweeters and woofers. So you could mount the tweeters behind the door mirrors nearer ear height, so it would sound better. Do you really need to get so anal about everything?

youngsyp

gunmetalgtir said:
Maybe not 10x then, but they will sound better due to being separate tweeters and woofers. So you could mount the tweeters behind the door mirrors nearer ear height, so it would sound better. Do you really need to get so anal about everything?
Not getting anal about anything. You just say that components will be better but, you can't explain why. I just get bored of all the misinformation that gets spouted on here !

Just to point out though, if you move the tweeters too far away from the mid range woofers, you'll have issues with time alignment. And if what you say is true, how come Kef, use tweeters in the middle of the woofer, in their Uni Q range ?

To get the best sound stage, you should have the speakers at equal distances away from your ears. Obviously in a car, this is difficult so, you should place the tweeters in the footwells, pointing up at your ears.
The footwells are generally the best places to use as, they are generally at equal distances, or very near to, away from your ears, when in the drivers seat. And, the tweeters will be very close to the mid woofers so, the frequency range that each produces, will get you your ear at almost the same time.

Where you're stating you should put the tweeters, will actually be worse, it terms of sound stage, than having co-axial speakers in the door as, they'll be at un-equal distances from your ears and, because the tweeter and woofer are so far apart, the sound each produces, will reach your ears a different times. Therefore, making the sound quality worse ! ;-)

gunmetalgtir

youngsyp said:
Not getting anal about anything. You just say that components will be better but, you can't explain why. I just get bored of all the misinformation that gets spouted on here !

Just to point out though, if you move the tweeters too far away from the mid range woofers, you'll have issues with time alignment. And if what you say is true, how come Kef, use tweeters in the middle of the woofer, in their Uni Q range ?

To get the best sound stage, you should have the speakers at equal distances away from your ears. Obviously in a car, this is difficult so, you should place the tweeters in the footwells, pointing up at your ears.
The footwells are generally the best places to use as, they are generally at equal distances, or very near to, away from your ears, when in the drivers seat. And, the tweeters will be very close to the mid woofers so, the frequency range that each produces, will get you your ear at almost the same time.

Where you're stating you should put the tweeters, will actually be worse, it terms of sound stage, than having co-axial speakers in the door as, they'll be at un-equal distances from your ears and, because the tweeter and woofer are so far apart, the sound each produces, will reach your ears a different times. Therefore, making the sound quality worse ! ;-)
How is this satement not getting anal? :lol:

The reason why it will sound better is due to the majority of components having crossover boxes which will split the correct frequencies to the tweeters and woofers, delivering the correct frequencies to each one. This means that they will have the optimum frequency that they require to perform. Which will give better sound quality.

youngsyp

@gunmetalgtir, Sorry mate, I don't mean any offence. I just seem to have the right ump today, for some reason I can't explain !

Apologies again.

Paul

youngsyp

gunmetalgtir said:
How is this satement not getting anal? :lol:

The reason why it will sound better is due to the majority of components having crossover boxes which will split the correct frequencies to the tweeters or woofers, delivering the correct frequencies to each one. This means that they will have the optimum frequency that they require to perform. Which will give better sound quality.
Co-axials still have crossovers. If they didn't, the tweeters would pop very quickly. ;-)

gunmetalgtir

youngsyp said:
@gunmetalgtir, Sorry mate, I don't mean any offence. I just seem to have the right ump today, for some reason I can't explain !

Apologies again.

Paul
It's cool mate, this is a discussion forum! and that is what we are doing! :lol:

youngsyp

What sort of kit did you install bud ?

Back when I was into car audio, I had Alpine, Mission, MB Quart, Hifonics, Pheonix Gold and JL Audio stuff. Not sure what the good stuff is to have these days ?!

gunmetalgtir

Currently in my run about I've got a kicker sub, kicker amp, infinity speakers, alpine amp, nakamichi crossover, DVD player and a kenwood headunit. In my Pulsar I've got.........nothing at all!!! :lol: The reason why it's all different brands is because I got them all for cheap through my pals work and my old work (end of line stock etc). Used to work for Halfrauds for a few years fitting sounds, satnav's, car hands free kits and things like that. Although me and my pal used to do most of our installs as homers as Halfords used to charge ridiculas prices!

Those brands you mentioned there are still major players in that industry although I have to admit I haven't heard much about Hifonics.

If I was going to put a system into another car (not my pulsar though) I'd do it all in Nakamichi probably.

The big mainstream brands nowadays are Alpine, Infinity, Vibe, Kicker, Audiobhan etc.

You not into your car audio much anymore then?

youngsyp

gunmetalgtir said:
You not into your car audio much anymore then?
Nope. It all weighs too much ! :lol:

I got rid of all my gear when I got my GT Four, before the Pulsar. The car now, has a CD/MD player and front co-axial's, and that's it. And it only get's used, on long journeys. I did have a subwoofer in the boot for a while but, again, it weighed almost 20Kg's and, I never used it. When I did, the car vibrated like a mofo. :doh:

I keep toying with the idea of sound deadening the front doors, and getting some better components in there but, I'd not use them so, haven't bothered.
I've still got to remove all the cabling from the sub box too which, I need to get done.