Front jacking point

CruiseGTi-R

Sorry if a bit basic but the manual isn't very clear. What do you jack up onto at the front?

Theres the tubular beam accross the front, the flat plated beam across the front and a little stand-down nib at the front. What's the official garage jacking point?

Can the tube at the front be used to sit on axle stands too or do you have to use the side sills?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Just in front of the beam across the front, in the centre of the car, there's a big chunk of metal with a flat bottom to it. That's the jacking point.

I've only used axle stands on the sills, so I don't know about the front. :?

CruiseGTi-R

Cool, so I can jack up using the steel nib and drop the tubular beam onto axle stands.

I've been using the sills to jack and axles stand on and they're getting a bit battered.

antgtir

Ive got a nice big chuck of rubber from a tyre display so use that to cushion the contact :lol:

Jack up on the block at the front cross member, works a treat. :D

Ant.

CruiseGTi-R

Its not much of a platform to jack up onto though is it. I fear my jack will slip off the point.

I need a jack with a larger cup plate to sit onto it a little better I think.

O

Odin

I would never use the sill's myself, As it's a very heavy 11-15 year old car so I just wouldn't take the chance.

I use a big cupped trolly jack on the front mounting or the wishbone mounts on the chassis, I allway use the wishbone mounts for my stands as the way there shaped it would be very hard for them to slip off :wink: .

NEVER EVER USE THE CHASSIS RAILS TO JACK UP A GTIR :idea:

rob

O

Odin

OZ-'R'acing said:
vpulsar said:
NEVER EVER USE THE CHASSIS RAILS TO JACK UP A GTIR :idea:
DOH :!: :evil: :roll:

I just thought I'd add that for the newer members, As we all know what can happen don't we mate :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

rob

O

Odin

Well if you look under any gtir you will find most have bent front chassis rails, This is because the car is heavy and these are not proper jacking points so can't take the weight of the car :idea: common sense really fella :roll: .

One of are members took his car to a tyre place to get new tyres fitted and left with a very very bent passenger footwell and they had a bill of over 1k to fit a new passenger floor and chassis rail on that side.

So when ever you get tyres make sure they don't use these rails :wink: .

rob

paz

vpulsar said:
Well if you look under any gtir you will find most have bent front chassis rails, This is because the car is heavy and these are not proper jacking points so can't take the weight of the car :idea: common sense really fella :roll: .

One of are members took his car to a tyre place to get new tyres fitted and left with a very very bent passenger footwell and they had a bill of over 1k to fit a new passenger floor and chassis rail on that side.

So when ever you get tyres make sure they don't use these rails :wink: .

rob
I know what you mean - some of mine are bentish too. How about if you have the correct adapter though? :? I jacked up each corner manually when I changed my wheels and it worked a treat.

True I did destroy the jack :oops: :lol: but you get my point ;)

O

Odin

There are proper jacking point's on the sill's but like you say it's best if you have the right shaped adaptor or standard jack to use them :wink: .

You can get away with useing a longish bit of wood/hard rubber on the chassis rail, But I wouldn't do this myself not when you can use the lot stronger wishbone mounts :wink: .

rob

paz

Yup makes sense, was just checking ;)

Have to source myself a new jack now :lol: :roll: :lol: :wink:

paz

CruiseGTi-R

ok, this is very helpful indeed but a few points.

The wishbone mounts at the front or back? You basically stick the axle stand cup under the bush cup? I worry cos the wishbone support points are not subjected to high vertical forces from the wishbone so probably aren't design for them either?

I've been using the chassis rails and they are looking quite buggered now, thats what made me start this thread.

I drop the tubular beam at the front of the car onto axle stands, I guess this is ok too? Looks worrying cos its only a thinnish walled tube which already has numerous bends and dings in it (bloody last owner, totally careless).

Actually I'm finding the R quite a difficult car to stick on axle stands and feel safe about it....

O

Odin

CruiseGTi-R said:
are not subjected to high vertical forces from the wishbone so probably aren't design for them either?
You are haveing a laugh with us fella :shock: , Have you seen the metal that supports these mounts, These things take a hell of a lot of strain just think about every pot hole bump you go over at 60/70 mph. And your trying to tell me they don't take any vertical strain :roll: , I know who's car i'd rather be laying under buddy :wink: .

This apply's to ether front or rear as your not likely to bend the rear subframe are you.

CruiseGTi-R said:
I've been using the chassis rails and they are looking quite buggered now, thats what made me start this thread.

Your asking for a very painfull death matey :shock: , these rails could fail at any moment when your laying under the car, There only made of cardboard :cry: :roll:

rob

CruiseGTi-R

Thinking about it you're right, I was thinking about it compared to the shock tower or something.

Had my car up on jacks at the weekend safe in the knowledge that all is well and my chassis rails are getting a rest.

Another potential £1000 saved (cost of a chassis), not bad for £20 forum cost....(I love rubbing it in to non-payers now that I've paid hehe)