FRONT DISCS/BRAKES

mohsan

i uprated my standards getting standard dics 20 grooved front and rear,got goodrige brake line kit and mintex pads,huge difference to standard.
but since raising my boost to 1 bar,the brakes are no way near as efficient.
cant really push my R as im afraid i wont be able to stop in time.
I know its all about the front discs really as il say 70% of braking is front discs and pads. Whats the best discs i can get for the front which retains standard caliphers?
i know of hi spec so far 285/24mm big disc kit£210
and 310/28mm big disc kit £415. These are the only other discs i know that will retain standard caliphers,does anybody else know any others?
also i am running 16 inch oz superleggeras can people also bear in mind they got to go under these. I know the 285/24mm big disc kit£210 will go under no problem. but want the 310/28mm big disc kit £415.does anyone know ewhther these will fit under superleggeras 16s?

O

Odin

There's no point changing just the disc's as it's now the caliper's that are the problem matey, there only 2 pot and can't cope anymore, A bigger disc wont give you anymore clamping pressure will :roll: ..

Your gonna need to change both or your going to kill yourself :cry: .

rob

S

Stoned

Yeah it will

Simple physics will tell you that. Imagine a bike wheel.
You try turning it from the centre and it takes lots of effort, now try turning it from the outside and it's much easier

Same concept applies to brake discs. Bigger they are the more effective which is also down to greater surface area per rotation.

So getting bigger disks will improve braking... but perhaps not as much as getting bigger disks AND better calipers ;)

O

Odin

I'v tryed it matey and it's no good in the long run :roll: .

I changed mine on my old pulsar it was a little better but not worth the effort in my humble opinion :? , The caliper will get even hotter and less
efficent so you will still get fade, The only way to go is to fit thicker bigger disc's and a 4 pot caliper :wink: . I have Ap's but hispec's will do and there not to pricey.

rob

mohsan

what to do

what to do,some say bigger discs some say change both. all i know is i drive hard my car is a uk spec so is not limited to 110mph and i often have high speed chase and races,but the stndard 20 grooved discs are not good for this,especially now im at 1 bar and may go 1.2 bar

mohsan

okay

okay well the best brakes to go under 16inch oz superleggeras then?
so far my friends tellme nothing but APs

mohsan

what to do about brakes

need good brakes, is 4 pots the way forward, or can i have good brakes retaining the standard 2 pots, with a hispec big disc kit?

kyepan

Just my ten cents.

Brakes turn friction into heat, and when the overheat they stop working cause they cant turn any more friction into heat.. erk.. crash. so you want more potential to absorb and get rid of heat.

Big discs dissapate more heat which is what is generated when you apply the brakes. This is because they have more metal to heat up, and more surface area to radiate the heat out through.
Having four/six/ten smaller pots in a line moves the clamping point further out on the disc, so it has more leverage and a more braking power for the same force applied through your tootsie.

So bigger discs mean you can brake for longer, and multi piston calipers mean you can brake harder .. till you lock up.

if you can, get an alloy caliper, they are lighter than the cast iron ones you find in some kits. Plus they usually have little heat vanes, like a heatsink on a pc cpu, to help dissapate even more heat

ok it was more like a dollar.. but.

hope this helps.

JB

mohsan

thankyou

thankyou kyepan i will look out for ones with alloy calliphers now. So i will go 4 pots. Good brakes are crucial and i should of done this first before i thouhgt of uprating.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
vpulsar said:
A bigger disc wont give you anymore clamping pressure will :roll: ..
rob
If you keep the standard caliper, then no the clamping force will be unchanged, but it will increase braking effort for the reasons Stoned said ie the caliper now being further out has a greater leaverage to do it's work from. :wink: