front dif

S

swawuk

I phoned up abbey motorsport today to book my r up for a rolling road session. The bloke on the phone said he's got a space this afternoon, but before he booked it he said i should check my front dif before putting it on their dyno tester. He said jack it up at the back so rear wheels are off the floor, then put it in first gear and try to move forward, if it doesn't move forward the the front dif is worn.

Does this sound right???

Mine didn't move forward, only done 42,000 miles. :cry:

where do you get them reconditioned?????

Cheers

Steve

youngsyp

That sounds like a very dangerous excercise to me ! Did he actually ask you to drive the car forward ?

Sounds like he's on a wind up !

Anyway, I wouldn't expect excess wear in a front diff after only 42k miles ?!

Keira

the worst thats going to happen is the stands will fall over, you only need the rear wheels 10mm off the floor so they'll move round

its quite common on gtirs to have the front diff go without the owner being aware of it.

it shows itself on the dyno they use that bolts to hubs as it puts even load across all four corners, simon had the problem recently on his, it results in an aborted run and £100 minimum of your money being wasted

i'd rather it fell or didn't fall 10mm off the axle stands if it was me

Trip

You can always lift and keep it 10mm off the ground with a pair of jack on wheels. Never test this procedure so do it at your own risk !!.

Where is the front diff located ? (gearbox or transferbox)

dunnergtir

i think you mean the center diff ?as the stander front diff is open .the center diff on the other hand is a viscous coupling diff that gives you a 50/50 split front an rear .so by asking you to jack up the back of your car and see dose it move forwards is all down to the center diff .if it is working ok then it will lock its self and the car will move forward just do it very slow :thumbsup: .if you want to know any more about the 4x4 set up on the standard gtir do a search in the F.A.Q forum. :thumbsup:

dunnergtir

Trip said:
You can always lift and keep it 10mm off the ground with a pair of jack on wheels. Never test this procedure so do it at your own risk !!.

Where is the front diff located ? (gearbox or transferbox)
the gearbox

dunnergtir

Shaun said:
As i understood it the centre diff is in the gearbox and the front diff in the transferbox.
Sorry man my mistake you are right the front diff is in the transferbox :doh: :oops: some info that might help :thumbsup:

ATTESA

ATTESA (acronym for Advanced Total Traction Engineering System for All) is a four-wheel drive used in some automobiles produced by the Japanese automaker Nissan.

History

The earliest model of car with Attesa is the 1989 2000SSS Attesa. However there have been reports of an 1987 RNU12 Bluebird (CA18DE) with the Attesa system, as well as a 1988 U12 Bluebird .
There is also speculation that it was developed for Nissan's rallying team. Although the Attesa system certainly has the potential to do well in rally motorsport, the Attesa parts are so rare and expensive, and awkward to work on, that it would be very uneconomic to rally with.

How it works

There are two distinct four-wheel drive systems in use which are both referred to as "ATTESA", one designed for transverse layout vehicles such as the Pulsar GTiR, and the other designed for longitudinal layout vehicles such as the Nissan Skyline GT-R (see ATTESA E-TS).
The ATTESA system featured in the transverse layout vehicles, such as the Pulsar GTiR and the Bluebird Attesa modification, is quite similar to vehicles from other manufacturers. Drive passes from the gearbox to a centre differential, which is then split to a front differential in the transfer case and via a tailshaft to a rear differential.
This more conventional layout provides a 50:50 split between front and rear and utilises a centre viscous limited slip differential to aid grip in slippery conditions. This system is commonly used in Nissan vehicles that are also available as front wheel drive models. This system is a full-time mechanical four-wheel drive.

S

swawuk

i only jacked it up a foot in the air....joking im stupid but not that stupid, only just off floor. it moved forward about 10cm then stopped and couldnt move any more.

So this wear on the centre diff, is it a good idea to sort it sooner than later??

nismoboy

dobby said:
do quaife do atb diffs for the front? woulndnt it be a big improvent?

i think they do/would but i think they want at least 10 orders before they will supply?? only problem is this would give u more grip which isnt always a good thing if ur on standard box.

Trip

nismoboy said:
i think they do/would but i think they want at least 10 orders before they will supply?? only problem is this would give u more grip which isnt always a good thing if ur on standard box.
:der: It's pointless having an R and not using its potential of being AWD.
Having more drive train losses and more weight without any benefi,t it kind of defeating the whole scope of having an R.

I choose the R for its AWD system, small and compact and cheaper then other AWD cars leaving plenty of cash for mods :-D

S

swawuk

yeah it was sitting, unfortunately outside not in a garage, for 5 years... i lied its not 42000 its 40000 lol

gtirx2

Are we talking about the front diff in the transfer box or the center diff in the gearbox being worn if you can not push it forward with it in gear and with the rear wheels in the air??I have got confused some where at the begining of this thread where some are saying front diff when others are saying center?