Fitting a Zaust

M

macphegf

As you may know, I'm not the most mechanically minded person here! I'm fitting a mongoose system this now but am worried the original exhaust's bolts will sheer when I remove them. Does anyone know what size they are so I can have spares on standby? Also should I use some sort of gasket or sealant? The mongoose is second hand (thanks Crazy) so doesn't come with any.

Cheers

nismoboy

u`ll need to have the car on a ramp to fit the mongoose system, as it requires at least 5ft in the air to get the middle section on.

M

macphegf

Not that I don't believe you but why do you need so much space? Do you have to put it on at a bizarre angle or somehting?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Believe him :( , you do need about that much space. It is possible to loosen the rear subframe and lower it abit to gain more room I believe.
The problem is, where the standard exhaust spilts somewhere above the rear axle, the mongoose doesn't. It goes al the way over the axle and without undoing the subframe, you need to get the goose centre section almost vertical to manouvre it around the axle and into place. A ramp is the easiest way to do it :wink:

M

macphegf

Ah well, cheers guys, I'll get the garage to do it when it's getting MOT'd then :(

JIMMYBACK

if u have a drive way it possible to ble able to fit the goose there 8) :wink:
but u will need to trolley jacks to do it 8)
u need to jack it up on the drivers side front and back at the same time.......u need to raise it about a foot or so then the goose will fit on nicely 8)

M

macphegf

So which is it, 1ft or 5ft? :? Is it a pain in the arse if you only have 1 ft clearance? I was going to try and use ramps for the back of the car and jack up the front using the front jacking point. Would this work?

Cheers?

JIMMYBACK

macphegf said:
So which is it, 1ft or 5ft? :? Is it a pain in the bottom if you only have 1 ft clearance? I was going to try and use ramps for the back of the car and jack up the front using the front jacking point. Would this work?

Cheers?
thats would work........... if you only lited the back up you would need at least 5ft to do the job .my way has the same effect but you only need a foot 8)
you way will work too just dont kick out the jack when your under the car thou :shock: :? :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:
then again how many people do u know that have two trolley jacks :lol: :lol:

Mr GTiR

macphegf said:
So which is it, 1ft or 5ft? :?
look at my pic as i tried to do mine at home. Just lets say we did not get the car high enough! :shock: Look at the hight of the spoiler against the fence :shock: :lol:

JIMMYBACK

:lol: :lol: at mr gtir............ill get some shots of how i did mine at home....... will that settle the argue ment :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

A

AJ4

I jacked my car up so high at the back that the front spoiler rubbed on the ground ( about 45 degrees ), and I still couldn't get the fecking thing on. That was with two ramps, 4 courses of bricks and a 0.5metre lift trolley jack :evil:

M

macphegf

Sounds good, get the pics up and then I'll know for sure! :wink: Remember I'm not the best mechanic though, so if it's a bastard of a job then I migh just get the garage to do it. Don't worry, I've got a couple of axel stands which I'd be using too 8)

Maybe we should turn this into a poll :lol:

M

macphegf

AJ4 said:
I jacked my car up so high at the back that the front spoiler rubbed on the ground ( about 45 degrees ), and I still couldn't get the sodding thing on. That was with two ramps, 4 courses of bricks and a 0.5metre lift trolley jack :evil:
Missed that post, maybe I'll just get the garage to do it then :shock: :lol:

A

AJ4

try the 'jimmy' method first, but I wouldn't recommend jacking it up from the back, I was absolutely sh1tt1ing it and still ended up taking it to a garage :(

M

macphegf

My worry is that I try it, fail and have to refit the original so I can get it back in the garage :oops: then have to take it to a garage anyway wasting my time!

JIMMYBACK

:lol: :lol: :lol: see your point..w ell im gonn fit my new zorst on so like i sed ill post some piccy up..because im getting the feeling people dont believe me :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :wink: bloody numptys

Mr GTiR

AJ4 said:
I jacked my car up so high at the back that the front spoiler rubbed on the ground ( about 45 degrees ), and I still couldn't get the sodding thing on. That was with two ramps, 4 courses of bricks and a 0.5metre lift trolley jack :evil:
I'm with Roos on this, the only reason i stopped is that my front mount was scrapping the tarmac! Any higher and the front mount would have been crused and also common sense (not much of it) told me to stop when it started to look *unsafe* :shock: :lol:

I took my car to a garage the next day and it took about 6 mins to change the exhaust, 3 mins was for the ramp to come up and down :p

Nigell_d6

Hi,

Took the old one off on the drive, realised I couldnt get the Mongoose in so drove it round my freindly exhaust fitter without an exhaust on the car and he fitted it free, now thats what I call service,

Regards

Nigel