firing on 3 cylinders

Fire & skill

Vintage member
Just got the new project and its been delivered with not a lick of fuel in it, it ran out on the 10 metre journey from the flatbed to my garage (it coughed and spluttered). Ive put some fuel in it and turned it over, firing on 3 cylinders, ive checked and cylinder 2 plug is wet. As a precaution I've fitted a brand new set and its still the same :sad:

any ideas what to check next?

vpulsar

Just got the new project and its been delivered with not a lick of fuel in it, it ran out on the 10 metre journey from the flatbed to my garage (it coughed and spluttered). Ive put some fuel in it and turned it over, firing on 3 cylinders, ive checked and cylinder 2 plug is wet. As a precaution I've fitted a brand new set and its still the same :sad:

any ideas what to check next?
Maybe one of the injectors is full of shit, Could be something as simple as a dodgy lead though. Have you checked if you're getting a good spark at each plug ?.

I'd fit new cap/rotor arm and maybe leads as well then go from there. It's probably worth swapping out the fuel filter as well seeing as you've run it out of fuel and it probably sucked up a load of shite from the bottom of the tank.

Rob

Slunch

Take a deep breath and do a compression test. Might be worth tapping the injector firmly with a spanner first or pulling it out and putting a 9 battery across it quickly. You should here it click.

Fire & skill

Vintage member
I used to have loads of spares but gave them all away! lol I might try swapping injectors and see if cylinder 2 fires up

vpulsar

I used to have loads of spares but gave them all away! lol I might try swapping injectors and see if cylinder 2 fires up
Was it firing on 3 when you first fired it up on the flat bed ?, If not then I doubt it has suddenly lost compression it must be something to do with running out of fuel I'd of thought.

Fire & skill

Vintage member
it ran like that but was running on fumes, you know how they run when they are on the last drip of petrol - I might do a compression test anyways. I never paid too much attention tbh but I could swear I gave it a rev and it seemed ok before it cut out

vpulsar

Oh well I hope it's not ring lands mate that would be upsetting but I'm sure it will be something simple.

The worst case scenario would be having to refresh engine which can be done cheap enough knowing the people we do mate.

Rob

Slunch

Wish I'd known you when you were doing that! Hope it comes good. Injectors can stick open, especially if they're dry I'm told, happened to one of mine when I got it back from cleaning, a good twat with a spanner sorted it out.

red reading

Check the plug,lead and injector....also pull the rocker cover off and check the rocker has not jumped off that cylinder.

Fire & skill

Vintage member
Might explain why it appears to have been off the road a while, all the tyres are cracked too. I found all the bits and put it back together, it's running sweet.

vpulsar

Like I said on facebook that was a very good call from Danny, I would of never suspected a rocker to be off straight off the boat.

Glad it's sorted though you can get back to doing all the other jobs you wanted to do, And hopefully you'll keep this bugger.

Rob

whytie

No probs just tell us what you need and I'll look it out.

Just posted the red one the other day, no interest yet though