Fast Idle

A

Anonymous

Hot or cold my sunny is idleing at 1500 rpm and will pass an mot like this?
It does seem to change when the water temperture comes up then it goes back up to 1500.
It produces power okay does not seem to mind but it is a bit wierd.
It was idling about 1000-1100 then went in the body shop got new panels on it and now 1500 all the time.
Is there an master idle adjustment?
Poor earth or throttle postion sensor needing adjusted?
Suggetion as this is driving me mad.
Robbev

geetee

Search and ye shall find.

There's lots of this on the Forums..... a lot of R's do idle high and there seems to be no cure for it.

As it started after you had some work done on it, I would suspect a disturbed pipe or wire. Which panels did you have replaced?

http://www.mummachummas.co.uk/gtir/IDLE_ADJUSTMENT.PDF

is the page form the workshop manual for it.

Check for air leaks on all your vacuum and IC pipework.
Check your MAF connections.

Remeber to disconnect the TPS and blip the thottle a few times before adjusting the Idle Adjust Screw - but really, if it was fine beofre there should be no reason why you would sudenly need to adjust this. Last Resort only.

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice.
Where is the idle screw located just in case I need it?
The diagram is to tight in to show any really good clues.
Thanks for the speedy response.
RobBev :roll:

geetee

The idle screw is in the inlet plenum.

Looking from the front of the car it's on the right of the plenum. It should have a stubby black pipe sticking off it (so you can't actually see the screw!).

I'm not sure what the little pipe is for but it has a little brass collar inside it. I junked it on mine and it seems to make no difference. Sure it's there for a reason.

There are some pics of the location on the forum somewhere.

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

A

AZ STE

If your running with a standard BOV make sure its not leaking as mine was and upped the idle. remove the exit pipe and stick your hand over it while ticking over if the revs drop your valves passing. :wink: