FAO All Previous Owners of My Car

GTiR_Mic

To all the people who owned my GTiR Before me.

Red Import - J508NLP

Swampy you where one of them and there was another.

Did any of you's get the head skimmed at all?

If so how much was taken off?

I have just had my head skimmed and put back together and it doesn't like it. It is locking up the valves.

Any info would be great.

Mic

P

Pete

thought it would do depends on how much or how many times it has bin skined before ?

GTiR_Mic

That is what I am trying to find out.

The pistons have hit the valves, I have forwared your txt to my mate Rishi and he is going to do the timming again on it.

He thinks it is somthing stupid on it. Nothing on the head hasn't been changed at all as well.

Mic

O

Odin

I agree, Me and rishi where chatting and both think he's got the cam timing wrong because he'd have to take a fair bit off the head for the valves to contact the pistons.

Rob

GTiR_Mic

Got the answer that will solve the problem.

The chain had jumped of it's guide right down at the crank.

Mic

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Just for future referance, Who ever skimmed it should have checked the height of the head before skimming.

It should be 136.9-137.1mm

So it can be skimmed a max of 0.2mm

"After resurfacing, check the camshafts rotate freely by hand, if resistance is felt, cylinder head must be replaced."

P

pulsarboby

did you turn it over by hand, first mic or crank it on the starter?

and fast guy, what difference will it make to the cams turning if the head has been skimmed? thought about it and cant see why it would make any difference at all 'baffled bobby'

Last edited by a moderator:
O

Odin

pulsarboby said:
Its all fixed now apparently, The chain had jumped off at the crank end somehow and locked everything up, I think they turned it over by hand first otherwise it wouldn't be fixed now would it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

It could of been quit messy :doh: :lol: .

Rob

Swampy

Bit late Mic, but no i never had the head skimmed!
The car was fine till fire and skill got his hands on it LOL!
Glad you,ve found the problem, good luck.
Les.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
pulsarboby said:

and fast guy, what difference will it make to the cams turning if the head has been skimmed? thought about it and cant see why it would make any difference at all 'baffled bobby'
That's what it says in the manual. Not sure, but the only thing I can think of it the head being badly warped may have the cam bearings out of alignment so they won't turn without binding??