Exhaust wrap effectiveness.

youngsyp

Fellow owners,

My exhaust wrap turned up last night so, I wrapped my downpipe which, took 8 metres to cover !! :shock:
I couldn't get good enough access to the elbow so, that'll be covered when I change my manifold over.

What I wanted to know is, how effective should the wrap be at insulating the exhaust ?
I covered the pipe with a 50% ish overlap of wrap, as I've read as the best way to do the job. I was expecting to be able to hold the pipe, after a run, with no problem but, I could only touch it momentarily, before having to worry about getting burned.

Is this how it should be ? Or does the wrap have to 'go off' before it becomes it's most effective ? Or, did I buy 'crap wrap' :lol: ?

Cheers

Paul

Studlife

i think it has served its purpose it will never hold all the heat but by the sounds of it it kept quite a bit

youngsyp

Dooie Pop Pop said:
bit late maybe but it helps stop the fibres flying around if you dump the reel in a bucket of water..
Thanks mate but, it all stayed together very well.
The only issue I had was space to move as, the car has a 3" downpipe. At some points, I could only just thread the wrap through !

I guess it was never going to keep all the heat in though and the foil backed Thermo Tec stuff I have doesn't stay 'cold' !
I'll get the manifold and elbow wrapped and see if there is a noticable decrease in under bonnet temps.

youngsyp

steve963 said:
how much is the wrap?
£13 for 10 metres, including 10 metres of stainless steel lock wire.

That was ll from fleaBay. If you're gonna get some, make sure it'll take the temperatures you're going to expose it too.
That's one of the reasons I went for the stuff I did, it'll take up to 1100 degrees C (melts at 1500 degrees C) where as others, will only take 500 degrees C !

J

jpward

youngsyp said:

That was ll from fleaBay. If you're gonna get some, make sure it'll take the temperatures you're going to expose it too.
That's one of the reasons I went for the stuff I did, it'll take up to 1100 degrees C (melts at 1500 degrees C) where as others, will only take 500 degrees C !
How wide was the roll 2"?

I use the Thermo-tec copper2 which is said to be 30% better than ceramic coating effecenty but i would still expect it to be hot to touch!

Thermo-tec recomend a 1/4" overlap and is rated to 1100o also.

K9ng

If stainless I would leave wrapping it will only crack in time :roll:
Maybe get it heat treated..

J

jpward

K9ng said:
If stainless I would leave wrapping it will only crack in time :roll:
Maybe get it heat treated..
Wall thickness is usually the problem and with the new pipes being 1.6mm wall shouldnt be an issue and thus cracking welds are also well burnt in just not the most even of runs ive seen but hey its not going to be seen :lol:

D

deslynam

youngsyp said:

That doesn't seem very expensive does it, compared to the competition spec stuff that Demon Tweeks sell, even compensating for their branded stuff/rip-off prices?! :?

P

pulsarboby

tbh paul, you should be able to hold your hand on it for a few seconds, but all depends on your pain barrier lol.
but without it you could not even touch the manifold for a split second without burning yourself so that means its taking around 80% of the heat away, which i think is pretty damned good;-)

Keira

no, not really, the insulating rap is actually taking the heat to a happy place

Last edited:

MORF114

usually a cracked manifold is caused by it not being destressed after being welded up, penetration of the weld may not cause it to crack but not being destressed will.
Ive heard some stories of track cars having warped heads and having to be thrown in the bin because wrap keeps so much of the heat in.

dobby

I can hold my exhaust after a run but it is still warm. a roll of the stuff i used is over £200 but obviously i had it nowt from work'cough cough'. its used for furnaces.