Exhaust systems

splmum

Wat are the best sounding exhaust for our cars and also best performance? Wat decat is the best? And downpipe?
The one that works for you.
Everybody has a personal preference, some 2 1/2", some 3" and even some up to 4".
Others made from stainless steel and others made from mild steel.
Some custom welded and others mandrel bent.
Some with small muffler boxes and other with hummungous muffler boxes.
Others with catalytic converters and others with straight through pipes.
Boy, how many more differences could you want.
Personally, I have run a mild steel, mandrel bent, 3" from the dump back with a 4"x10" flex joint into a Hi-Flow cat, and then into an east/west mounted stainless steel muffler box with a 4" chrome extension outlet.
This system has been on my R now for almost 10 years and has never given me one ounce of trouble, still going strong after 110,000 miles of HOT gasses through it, but that was my personal choice.
I don't believe that any of the Kakimoto, 5Zigen, Mongoose, SheepDog or any of those other high priced stainless systems do any better job except reduce the reddies you have to spend on other worthwhile mods.
Your decision really.
jmo

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Like the man says, you need to define what you want to decide what's "best". - Do you want to make it as loud as possible (which will piss-off your neighbours, get you pulled over by the boys in blue, and limit the tracks you can drive it on), or do you want the best flowing.
Is price a consideration; it's not actually that expensive to get a custom system made-up?

I'd suggest something like splum's - I'd probably go for 2.5" or 3" from the turbo-back (that means getting a new elbow made) with a silenced decat and a large back-box. Quiet, but still flowing well enough to give you good power gains.
Mine is 2.5" from the elbow back (meaning I'm still looking at good value elbows) with a silenced decat; it doesn't have a flexi, it's got one of those universal socket joins (like a knuckle). I've got a twin-exit back-box which required a bit of butchering to get it to fit. - Is it the best? No. Does it work for me, and is quiet enough that my wife will travel in the car on long journeys? Yes.

Spikey

Ignore them lol
The Best sounding Exhaust for the Pulsar Is the 5Ziegen :) Thats as sexy as it gets.
if you have no money then you get a Mongoose but as the name already says... hmm lol

I also love my 5Zigen pro racer, just a shame the local plod aren't so keen. Definately not for you if you're looking for a quiet exhaust.

shroom

Think if you want to have a good sound our 2ltres are no match for any real engined car, the sound of a supra with a full ss exhaust is something else, im sure the patched up rot box 5zigen sounds lovely something like cambelju (spelling) is the only way to go

im sure the patched up rot box 5zigen sounds lovely
only the border max 304 is mild steel rot boxes the pro-racers are all stainless and inconel.

I like the sound of the SR20, is got a real deep rumble and is definately one of the best sounding in-line 4's. Straight 6's (2JZ and RB26 included) sound nice but always sound a little bit too smooth to me, but I'm the type of person that prefers the off beat burble of audi 20v 5 cylinder to screaming v10.

Spikey

I have a 5ziegen patched up:) not sure if im gonna use it as i have a 3" HKS too. So might try that this year.

John

My 5zigen went and rusted itself to bits, sounded great, much better than the goose I replaced it with.

danr

3" blue flame twin exit, love it. wouldnt have bought one, but came with car and just works. think red_reading had one for sale?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
3" blue flame twin exit, love it. wouldnt have bought one, but came with car and just works. think red_reading had one for sale?
Let the flaming commence! - Nah, I'm just kidding. I had the original (departure system) for a while, but it's not a great exhaust to live with if there are speedbumps in the area... plus not everyone likes the look (to put it diplomatically).