Exhaust Manifold

Stevo

Is this an easy job or not?
as when i did my rs two studs snapped as they were rusty. what the chance the R is the same? any tips taking them out. or ask mike to do it :wink: :p

Si..

its not that hard, i took my stainless mani off last night and it took about an hour, the std setup on the other hand is a bit harder, i've done it once before and i took the rad out to make it easier infact if i'm roughly right i had to take it out to get the mani off, i did snap one bolt tho coz like you say it was rusty and it had never been undone for god knows how long, the bit of t**t part of the job is getting in behind the turbo and unbolting the oil and water feeds because they are metal pipes and are quite hard to get out the way so you can get in behind them, other than that its just unplugging the lamda dont try and unbolt it, you dont need to unless your changing your turbo, just follow the wire from the turbo and unplug it, obviously the exhaust needs un bolting, and the oil return, while your on its £18 for a new gasket betwwen the turbo and the manifold, mine had blown the head to mani gasket and when i out the new one on and got it all back together this one blew :x

Stevo

ok cheersmate

any pics of the standard turbo??

cant i just undo the manifold studs and downpipe and pull turbo forward and pull old gasket of and fit a new one??

geetee

cant i just undo the manifold studs and downpipe and pull turbo forward and pull old gasket of and fit a new one??
No No No - don't even try it.

The oil feed, water feed and water return pipes to the turbo are solid and will snap or crack if you flex them even a little bit.

It is easier to remove the rad to give youurself more room to work.

You should then be able to get the manifold heatshield off - undo the feed and return pipes where the join to the block.

Then undo the manifold and you may be able to drop it forward using the movement in the flexi part of the exhaust pipe. But for the sake of it yuo're probably better of disconnecting the exhaust from the turbo outlet (3 nuts from underside of car).

See the recommended way to proceed here...

http://www.mummachummas.co.uk/gtir/TURBO.PDF

Do as much or as little as you think you can get away with.

I've had mine off recently - there is one manifold nut tucked away behind the downpipe itself (no. 7 on the diagrams above) that can be a beatch to get off. You need fairly short ring spanner - although some ppl seem to cope with wobble head extensions - this just rounded the nut for me as I still couldn't get enough socket on it.

Whiilst in there it's worth looking at Mike's (ex-gtir) braided flexible feed pipes to replace the 2 most prone to cracking solid pipes - makes refitting a whole bunch easier.

Cheers
GeeTee 8)