exhaust far too loud

Godzilla

got my R on friday and its got a full 3" mongoose system with decat and front pipes also 5"rear box , its getting on my nerves how loud it isas i have to have my stereo on very loud to not here it and also im worried it might do some damage to my daughters hearing as she is only 3 ,also its getting to be a pain to drive and cant fully enjoy it .
Iv been told to change the box to say a 3" one and look at getting a hks silencer section to replace of the decat, what would u guys think would be the best route for best results on the above parts ,which one would work the best as id like to have it loud just not stupidly loud as it is now,

thanks gaz

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
You'll never get the car whisper quiet, but I know exactly what you mean about the noise (it my case it was my wife who said she couldn't travel in it)!

The silenced decat does make a difference... especially as it's right under the driver.
I also had some holes in my back box that needed plugging. - I bought a departure system as a replacement, but I don't know if it's quite right for me because of the way it sits... I can offload it on you if you're interested in buying a replacement cat-back (there's no harm in trying to recoup my losses ;-)).

Do you still have any silencing material in the boot? That's another thing to try. I have installed 'Dynamat Xtreme' on the floor of mine; inside the tailgate; and up the walls of the boot; in an effort to reduce the noise from the exhaust coming back into the car.

You could also check the state of the rubbers and make sure it's not vibrating against the body anywhere, because that just magnifies the noise.

davey red.r

mongooses are to loud, ive a full 2.5inch system which is embarising and about to be changed soon,didnt think mongoose done a 3"system news to me:?

Jon Olds

Quiet Magnex

Full system, cat back, very quiet £120 Sunderland. pm me. collection needed, or your courier collects

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
davey red.r said:
mongooses are to loud, ive a full 2.5inch system which is embarising and about to be changed soon,didnt think mongoose done a 3"system news to me:?
Your right Davey, Goose don't do a 3" system but because the tail pipe is 3" is a common misconception that the rest of the system is 3"

(and I think you'll find the Goose for the GTiR is only 2 ¼")

PobodY said:
The silenced decat does make a difference... especially as it's right under the driver.
I've always known that middle so called silencer in the Goose system as a resonator, thats what they used to sell them as, if so, although it improves the deafening sound if the Goose it does not work quite as well as a true silencer.

R

riske

I put the HKS silencer on mine and it made a big difference. Its ok when off boost but nice when you open her up. That should be ok for most people?

donpulsar

South Yorkshire Regional Rep
Search on fleabay for a centre de-cat silencer - should quieten it down nicely. If no, either have a custom box made up or take Mr Olds up on his Magnex offer :)

Godzilla

thanks guys will look into it further as far as the sizes of the pipes go i was just guessing as iv not been under it or had a look ,

anyone no what sort of price this hks silencer section is and were to get one thanks again

Last edited:

mds

give pulsarbob A call mate
i had the same problem he had a zigen rear section with a rear silencer that he sold to me at the time which i mated up to my 3" mongoose. i know its not ideal putting a 2.5" rear box onto a goose but it reduced noise alot and to be honest i could hardly tell a performance change. I suppose it depends on what state of tune your car is.
This for me proved to be the most cost effective way also.
I am sure he will have something that will work.

good luck

MINESGTIR

Hehe i love the loudness of the 5" Goose :D

But obvious reasons above for changing ^^^

Each to their own and i hope you get it sorted :)

davey red.r

Odin said:
I solved this problem by having a full 3" custom system made, Which was very quite a low boost and also would pass any track noise limit in the country, It cost me £550 for the full front to back system which is now on Bruce's car, Might cost more now as stainless steel is very expensive at present.

I had a big-ish box under the car and a massive f*cker across the back exiting in the passenger side rear of the car, I could drive into my estate at night with out anybody noticing which was kool.

Rob
yeah i was speaking to stu last week about a 3inch full system from elbow back,
mentioned you rob, and he remembered,he was saying that he had to put a big back box and exit opposite side to keep the noise down,on yours
he has quoted me £600 for the full 3"system he is booked up fully until feb:shock:
that is it exiting the same side,
think im just going to settle for a custom made 3"downpipe off ass, and get him to fabricate it to a final 2.5" system as im not after crazy power,
and i also want to try and tone it down,however its a rally rep car so i guess its always going to have volume:)

davey;-)

Godzilla

lol for now i got my self some ear plugs for when im drving home from my night shift and s wooley hat aver em so i dont look a comlete prat,

it pops and bangs like a good un too, im hoping not to really spend over 200 to sort this what i see as a problem out, think it can be done, im sure a custom exhust place could do something for that much

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
I had this issue and in the end just had a bigger (de-cat) silencer installed which made quite a difference to the noise levels. Overtime the baffle in the Mongoose silencers will be burnt out and it gets louder, as mine did.

Now it’s much better and more tolerable on the motorways even with no interior. :thumb:

However as Rob mentioned (Odin) having a bespoke 3" system with a large back box would probably be best for noise.
I've been out in another member’s car with a very similar system to Rob's and its very quite, disturbingly quiet :shock:

gtirjoey

Godzilla said:
lol for now i got my self some ear plugs for when im drving home from my night shift and s wooley hat aver em so i dont look a comlete prat,

it pops and bangs like a good un too, im hoping not to really spend over 200 to sort this what i see as a problem out, think it can be done, im sure a custom exhust place could do something for that much
why dont you buy the magnex system for 120 then?

Trondelond

I've got a full 3" system as well - straight pipes, and it's pretty embarassing to drive through town with. I'm considering a fairly big box at the end, and one somewhere under the car, but how much will it affect the flow if you're running around the 400 mark?

A friend of a friend blew a turbo because of the backpressure the buttplug created. I'm guessing a box won't be as restrictive, but.. it worries me.
Also, since it seems people have the exit on the passenger side, is this for flow reasons, or just convenience when fabricating?

davey red.r

Trondelond said:
I've got a full 3" system as well - straight pipes, and it's pretty embarassing to drive through town with. I'm considering a fairly big box at the end, and one somewhere under the car, but how much will it affect the flow if you're running around the 400 mark?

A friend of a friend blew a turbo because of the backpressure the buttplug created. I'm guessing a box won't be as restrictive, but.. it worries me.
Also, since it seems people have the exit on the passenger side, is this for flow reasons, or just convenience when fabricating?
well robs managed 517bhp so guess it wasnt that restrictive,dont think it was for convenience,more noise levels,as stu told me it was no problem to exit the custom pipe the same side as standard,however he did say that having the tailpipe on the otherside would make it a tad quiter with the big rear box.
rob would tell you better.

davey

Last edited:

Godzilla

gtirjoey- iv had magnex in the past and not that bigger fan plus he is in sunderland so would cost a bit to collect from blackpool or even courier, and im not after it really quiet just not as loud as it is inside the cab really dont care how loud it is outside, just nice to here my little girl talk when she telling me about stuff she been up to without having to ignore her.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Godzilla said:
im not after it really quiet just not as loud as it is inside the cab really dont care how loud it is outside, just nice to here my little girl talk when she telling me about stuff she been up to without having to ignore her.
Then I’d just say get a new bigger de-cat silencer installed, should notice a reduction in sound!

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Seconded - that's much cheaper than replacing the exhaust... which is why I haven't done it either.