Exh Manifold studs, nuts n washers

geetee

I'm replacing all 8 exhaust manifold studs as mine are rusted real bad.

Nissan want something like £40 for the set..... :shock:

So I got some from Rapid Car Parts in Watford - all 8 high tensile M10 fine studs - £4.89 :lol:

However, they are about 3mm shorter on the manifold thread (the thread that goes into the head is the same length).

The question is - do I really need washers as fat as the standard ones? They are mahoosively thick. Will I get any problems using a much thinner washer?

Alternatively, I thought I might just use flange nuts and threadlock.... but I'm not sure there's room for the flange on a couple of the studs.

Also - are they special nuts? e.g. I've seen several places selling copper flashed nuts for exhaust use.... are there benefits over standard stainless nuts??

The studs came with copper nuts... but will these take the torque?

And what is the correct torgue for the manifold nuts?

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

S

seanleed

I just put ordinary M10 washers on mine when I refitted it. I got stainless nuts and put them on. I've had no problems with them, but the car's only been running for 2 weeks so it's a bit early to tell :D . You won't be able to use copper nuts, you'll just rip the thread on them. Don't know the torque as I'm at work, but I'm sure someone will let you know.
Remember to put a load of copaslip on them when you fit them.

J

jasegould

Wouldnt use threadlock, if you use it on the engine side you have difficulty if you ever remove them and if you use it on the manifold side youll prob withy draw the stud with the nut, use it on both sides asnd you could shear the stud.
You can buy speciakl exhaust nuts that have an oval end on that stops them coming undone

geetee

You can buy speciakl exhaust nuts that have an oval end on that stops them coming undone
Do you mean cap nuts? I don't think that stops them coming undone - just stops the end of your stud rusting. Do you mean something else?

And I think you guys are right.. I'm gonna coppaslip both ends of the stud when fitting. I couldn't care less if the stud comes out of the head or the nut comes off the stud when I'm disassembling. So long as it comes apart and I don't need to helicoil the head. At the end of the day, if torqued up right - it's the thread that keeps the nuts on not the glue!!

Anyone gonna let me know the correct torque for these babies??

I'm so fookin happy I didn't buy the Nissan studs :lol: :lol: I saved £35 quid :lol: :lol:

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

S

seanleed

I think the nuts that Jase is on about have a deformed portion at the end of the thread that locks onto the thread and prevents it shaking off. I think they're called 'K' nuts, but I'll check :)

J

jasegould

Do you mean cap nuts? I don't think that stops them coming undone - just stops the end of your stud rusting. Do you mean something else?
Nah, not capped nuts, the end of the nut is oval and grips the stud to stop it coming undone. prob get some from your local ATS :?:

And as you say, aslong as they are torqued up right you shouldnt have any problems, ive fittted loads of manifolds/replaced studs and Ive never had any problems