engine removal

W

WoOsH

I think we need to make the ability to remove your engine and gearbox a prerequisite of owning an R. I have had mine out twice now and Im sure there are others who have had it out alot more times. Also who would like to start a new forum post showing engine and box removal times we could make it a race. 0 to engine out in 60 seconds. lol

O

Odin

Well I think Kieron or exgtir would win that race everytime, I can get mine out in about 2-3 hours but normally take 4-5 with tea breaks lol.

Rob

W

WoOsH

Well I am about the same as you Odin 2-3 hours without any interuptions but I usually get distracted by tea and biscuits.

Bart GTI-R

Took me 6hrs but included in that time was finding out the crane had no fluid in, and filled it up, was a sunday too so no shops open close by and i was forced to use my power steering fluid to fill it up, and I also like a good cuppa !!!

P

pulsarboby

the more you rush, the more chance you have of breaking something;-) better to take your time and note where everything goes back, then you will make assembly time a lot quicker and trouble free, theres no prizes for rushing is there!

tea breaks are a bad thing as you get distracted, and theres a chance of leaving bolts loose which you think you have tightened, which isnt good.
better to set yourself something to achieve in various stages then once you have completed that stage then have your tea breaks etc;-)

Dooie Pop Pop

pulsarboby said:
the more you rush, the more chance you have of breaking something;-) better to take your time and note where everything goes back, then you will make assembly time a lot quicker and trouble free, theres no prizes for rushing is there!

tea breaks are a bad thing as you get distracted, and theres a chance of leaving bolts loose which you think you have tightened, which isnt good.
better to set yourself something to achieve in various stages then once you have completed that stage then have your tea breaks etc;-)
best advice iv read so far;-)

i had only 'assisted' on a couple of engine drops in the past before trying my own so i found it a little intimidating to say the least as i have my R on the front drive and it had to be out and back in again in a day...

i did it in stages using a notebook to list everything i removed, coloured tape on the dizzy, reverse gear leads in the engine bay and a crayon marker to mark the prop bolt posistions. a big bottle of gunk wont go amiss either as its a good opportunity to clean;-)

Trip

The worse part of the job is to remove the drive shafts. It seems I cannot dismount the CV from the rest. I just remove the whole think from the transfer case with the whole drive shaft out including hub, disk and calipers. Heavy lump of metal.

I my next one is this week but need to have the car rolling without engine. wish me luck :p

I prevously removed the engine including gearbox within about 5hrs with no tea breaks, but had the chick handing over the tools when I am under the car to disconnect propshaft,gear linkage and exhaust.

Dooie Pop Pop

you can pop the drive shafts out of the hub without splitting the lower ball joint if you take off the suspension bolts/hoses off the hub and move the steering wheel full left lock for the ps shaft and back the other way for the ds one.

thanks to Kieron for that one;)

jonesgti_r

with grinder did it in just under 15 mins

Doing it properly took about 5 hours

Putting it back in took about 14 months lol

Keira

Dooie Pop Pop said:
thanks to Kieron for that one;)

i have my uses :lol:

the first time i said to mike you can do it like that i think we spent half an hour arguing about it before he accepted defeat and tried it. I'd already done it on my first ever solo gtir engine drop so knew it worked but he wouldn't have it.

Anyone that has witnessed me and mike in action will know exactly the sort of discussion it was :

it wont work you lanky nob

it will you fooking penis

repeat for 30mins :lol:

dont think theres many left on here as it goes that ever had to suffer witnessing our 2 ronnies with an attitude double act whilst doing work on a gtir :lol:

i reckon everything took us twice aslong it should've due to the fact half the time was spent ripping the p1ss out of each other :lol:

ex-gtir

so true statement but you couldnt get it back in you lanky knob :p
Keira said:
i have my uses :lol:

the first time i said to mike you can do it like that i think we spent half an hour arguing about it before he accepted defeat and tried it. I'd already done it on my first ever solo gtir engine drop so knew it worked but he wouldn't have it.

Anyone that has witnessed me and mike in action will know exactly the sort of discussion it was :

repeat for 30mins :lol:

dont think theres many left on here as it goes that ever had to suffer witnessing our 2 ronnies with an attitude double act whilst doing work on a gtir :lol:

i reckon everything took us twice aslong it should've due to the fact half the time was spent ripping the p1ss out of each other :lol: