engine oil

yellow gtir

hi guys a mate of mine found this engine oil lying around in his shed and due to this R needing a service soon he wanted to now is this engine oil good to be used in his car.

its a -

Motul 300V Competition Engine Oil 15w - 50

and he also said that it was - "fully synthetic ester based oil" - which i do not know what that means lol

thanks

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Look in any of the oilman's threads.

Fully synthetic ester is probably about as good an oil as you'll get, but I would have thought that 15w50 was too thick for a GTi-R (you want 5w50 or maybe 10w50 in the UK; where it gets really cold maybe a 0w40). - I think you can still use it (and it's proably good for a track car), but you'll need to make sure you warm the engine up before you give it any beans if you don't want to damage the engine.

yellow gtir

Look in any of the oilman's threads.

Fully synthetic ester is probably about as good an oil as you'll get, but I would have thought that 15w50 was too thick for a GTi-R (you want 5w50 or maybe 10w50 in the UK; where it gets really cold maybe a 0w40). - I think you can still use it (and it's proably good for a track car), but you'll need to make sure you warm the engine up before you give it any beans if you don't want to damage the engine.

thanks for that will let him know!!

i dont think he would drive the car to hard probs just put the foot down here and there.

nex

I use Castrol Edge 10w60 (in a gold tub with bmw recommended on the front) it seems a good oil for £35-40, good pressure when its cold but holds it as it gets hotter and thickens because of what ever they put in it.

yellow gtir

I use Castrol Edge 10w60 (in a gold tub with bmw recommended on the front) it seems a good oil for £35-40, good pressure when its cold but holds it as it gets hotter and thickens because of what ever they put in it.
but what would you think is the 15w - 50 any good for it??

nex

Really does depends on the engine and the specs, I wouldnt personally put it in a pulsar engine myself , not sure what takes a 15w....modern turbo engines like the vag 18t's are 5w.....

yellow gtir

Really does depends on the engine and the specs, I wouldnt personally put it in a pulsar engine myself , not sure what takes a 15w....modern turbo engines like the vag 18t's are 5w.....
its got okish mods there ,exhaust , filter , front mount , bigger injectors , 255 fuel pump, mines ecu, oil cooler and couple of other things. so you wouldn't really think its any good then?