Emitions and high flow/sport cats, will they make a difference??

GTIRdan

hi guys, i have just been down to get a pre mot chech done and have been told being the R is an import and it being a 94 (L) reg it might not pass the emetions test:doh:, has anyone else had any issues with this, and if so what can be done, i was told about high flow cats and how they might make a difference but am not sure, the car has minimal mods on it just a cat back exhaust uprated fuel pump and the 1bar closed loop, seeing as you guys know more than me i thought id put it to the floor lol:thumbsup:
cheers Dan

Mine is a 94 L plate and i have similar mods to you; i have no problems with emissions, passes every time. Although it failed once but that was because i left the de-cat on lol.
Just tell them to get on and test it.
Running more boost and an uprated fuel pump wont make any difference at all for emissions test.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
That's odd. Mine being an import and pre-94 (H-reg) does not need to pass the emissions test; what's the cut-off?
As I had a couple of failures last year, mine took that more relaxed test three times and passed it each time.

Put some new plugs in, run some fuel conditioner/octane booster for a bit, maybe give the exhaust a bit of a bash to clear out any coking... and it should go through ok.

GTIRdan

yeh i was a bit taken back when he said it might fail, but to be fair he didnt was going on about there being two different test for emitions and didnt know which one it needed but i am going to get it hooked up to there tester later today so all being well it should pass (fingers crossed) will let you know though, cheers guys
:thumbsup:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Take it to some dodgy backstreet garage... and let them do the test whilst the owner's '99 micra is in the workshop!? ;-):p

GTIRdan

haha yeh did think weather or not to try and find a fred in a shed to do it, got to get a fog light fitted too maybe if i can just get him to stay at the front of the car whilst doing the mot lol :lol:

GTIRdan

cat fur hmmmm:lol:, well im sure i could fit a couple up there if i tryed :lol: better safe than sorry ay