Emissions problem TOO HIGH!!!!!

simpulsar

right guys i took my r for a mot 3 days ago and it failed on emissions being too high. the co level was 4.50 and the max is 3.50 so i thought lambda sensor.

i orderd a universal lambda sensor form my local motor factors. it was the same size and has the same colour wires and in the book it said it will fit a nissan so i bought it and fitted it but when i took my car back it failed again cos the emissions had gone up to 8.36

has anyone got any ideas what this could be???:roll:

PaulB

i pm`d you as to why the universal lambda you bought probably wouldnt work. The universal was more than likely a zirconia one, the pulsars is titania

I have a spare one titania one if your interested.

P

pulsarboby

you may have a blockedc injector which is not atomising fuel correctly,
could be a dirty air filter,
lambda sensor (although this will show up as high hydro carbons) on the co tester, and they should be able to tell you if there is a fault with the lambda sensor!
worn rings,

try the other lambda sensor, and put some fuel injection cleaner in with the fuel, better still, fill the fuel filter up with it.
give it a good run round and make sure the engine is nice n hot, when you take it up there, and see what it reads then!

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Stick a cat back on, it might bring the emissions down enough to pass. Then take it back off.
(assuming you're decatted.)

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Another trick is to give the car a good blast before taking it in for the mot as this can clean the O2 sensor off.

chrism

The cat affects hc(hydrocarbon emissions) it seems like the fuels not burning properly.Id check the usual bits first;leads,plugs,dissie cap and rotor.If any is worn or if the diisies not totally clean Id change them.
What you could do is just get some ethanol and put in maybe 10%.This is common here in sweden but switch boost controller off.Take it easy until you´ve mot´d it then fill it up with 99 straight away.
Ethanol will fix the MOT,but not the underlying cause.Not sure where you´d get ethanol in the uk though.

azboy

get ur emissions checked and check the lambda reading if below 1.00 then its running rich, a cat wont lower the readings if the lambas out, on the test would have been a basic test go back and pay for a emission test which gives a lambda reading if much below 1.00 then most likely the lambda m8

Braveheart

CAT is not required.
Vehicals from Aug 92 should have a cat. However, there is a grey area in the law which relates to a vehical list and they said that if the car is from AUg 92 to 95 and not on that list (GTiR is not) then the testing station have to use the default emissions values (below 3.5%) and set the machine up default.
As pulsarbody suggests, a good rich mix of injector/fuel cleaned may help. Some nice high RON petrol and you could even add some RON-UP which you can get from any good motor factors, halfords sell it. Just do not go too mad with boost and rpm or you could melt a piston.

simpulsar

my co level was 4.50 the first time and when i sent it back after i changed the lambda sensor co was 8.36 so it shows that my lambda is working

Fusion Ed

hi CO means your running too rich, in fact a CO of 4.5% means approximately your running an AFR of about 11.5:1. you need to get this up to about 13.5:1 to pass the emission test. The easiest way to do this would be to slightly lower the fuel rail pressure. Infact what is your idle vacuum? If its to high (when it shouldn't be) the fuel pressure will be higher than it should be, enough to possibly cause this problem. Have you change the intake pipework? are there pipes open to the air? Like crankcase breather etc? It could be lots of things but that should give you something to get started with.

Ed

O

Odin

I always turn down my fuel pressure before I put the car in for an M.O.T lol.

Rob

A

a11ova

Pay dodgy dick a £5 and get him to put his 'O7' corsa on the CO2 machine ;) Only joking. I would go down the root of injector cleaner etc

youngsyp

Braveheart said:
CAT is not required.
Vehicals from Aug 92 should have a cat. However, there is a grey area in the law which relates to a vehical list and they said that if the car is from AUg 92 to 95 and not on that list (GTiR is not) then the testing station have to use the default emissions values (below 3.5%) and set the machine up default.
Not quite right.......

The Sunny is on the VOSA list, the Pulsar isn't. This is how you slip into that grey area, not by the car trim level !

Effectively, any Pulsar GTiR, only has to pass the basic emmissions test.

And no car actually requires a catalytic converter to pass an MOT. However, the specific car must fall within a specific emmissions range, set for that specific car, by VOSA, to pass an MOT test....... as I understand it.

chrism

You cant if you dont have an adjustable regulator.Unless you strangle the hose or put a valve in the hose.**** that.

Get some ethanol to get you through your mot then get it sorted properly starting with a good service.