Ecu options

pulsar kid

Been away for a while and i know comp stuff changes daily.
So what is there to offer on the Ecu side of things now?
can we go map sensor easy enough?
is motec still only one to offer this?
whats the new emanger like etc,
talk to me please guys,
apexi power fc still bang for buck??

would like to go maff less and not really bothered about z32 as there getting on and alot of fakes ive seen.

cheers benji

red reading

Nistune with z32 will see you to around 450-500hp, but you are running a risk doing it, syvecs is what I use as it's about the best bang for buck ecu for this car and comes with all the options for free, just needs setting up and wiring in with all the sensors needed.........allows coil on cap ignition as well, cheaper than motec with all the functions already enabled, this is the ecu make used buy the fastest gtr35's in the world, and comes with shit hot back up and knowledge.

ed at fusion can supply and fit, or Ryan at syvecs.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I think a few are running map sesnors but I can't recall the ECU brand. PFC still work and give good results though I understand your concern with the Z32. I helped a member with his nistune and we found the Z32 was faulty after much head scratching.

Nistunes are cheap and work. I personally prefer PFC but that might just be me.

Alot depends on who is doing the mapping and what they prefer. Unless you're doing your own mapping then it might be best to speak to who you're going to get to do the work first.

pulsar kid

i wont be mapping myself, ill be using ed, simply as closest, this may sound silly but looking at buying this and fitted before i even start building,
as i believe that a proper ecu and mapping can really bring a car to life,
i had jolly green monster map my sti which had been mapped by another good mapping company on same soft ware yet i gained 17hp more on the same rollers and same ambient temp and same boost lol. so i think i good ecu is the key, hence why asking this instead of what pistons for the power lol

Z32 is just personal preference and still not built proof.
whats the main reason for the oem maff maxing is there a voltage limit or not a big enough bore etc?

vpulsar

i wont be mapping myself, ill be using ed, simply as closest, this may sound silly but looking at buying this and fitted before i even start building,
as i believe that a proper ecu and mapping can really bring a car to life,
i had jolly green monster map my sti which had been mapped by another good mapping company on same soft ware yet i gained 17hp more on the same rollers and same ambient temp and same boost lol. so i think i good ecu is the key, hence why asking this instead of what pistons for the power lol

Z32 is just personal preference and still not built proof.
whats the main reason for the oem maff maxing is there a voltage limit or not a big enough bore etc?

Have to agree with you mate, My last Pulsar Had a Motec M48 pro and was fantastic to drive very smooth and power delivery was brilliant until I fitted the bigger turbo lol

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Sounds like you're best speaking to Ed first then.

In terms of maxing out the sensor you just get to the limit of it's usable range. It's just a sensor, it doesn't care about HP

Sacha and I used a Z32 to around 500hp at the wheels, IIRC we guessed we had another 5-10% of flow based on the way the incremental voltages were tailing off as we increased flow.

If that's not enough you can just stick the sensor in a bigger housing and change your MAF calibration. I'm trying to remember if Sacha did that with a GM MAF sensor? Too long ago to remember.

We were doing our own mapping though so to swap a sensor and re-map the fuelling was not a big deal. For your aims, just get Ed's advice

pulsar kid

Thank you for that advice,
I'll bell ed and ask my opitions, are the z32 fairly robust? I just know from my scooby days maffs were allways a issue and we all know the stock gtir maff is shite lol

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
A clean MAF will last 100,000 miles. Some people put useless air filters in front of their MAFs or recirc oily air back into the intake system. Neither are good for MAF's.

Nothing inherently wrong with MAF's though

I am running Hks F con pro v gold 3.2 version.
Expensive but has many features, has been mapped very well, and drives amazing, never had a running fault with the car in 2 years since being fitted and mapped. Runs map sensors too. Will work well with my Sr20vet and can use the ecu in other sr20 related cars.

Some may say it's old software, but big power skylines, surpass have been using it for years in Japan and worldwide, and still do.
Also the software is updated to stay with the times.
I am running version 3.2, but 3.3/3.4 is out.

It keeps the standard ecu, so putting car back to standard and keeping the hks unit for another car is posdible.

Empty Pockets

I'd personally choose the mapper, and go with what they're most happy using, as that'll give better results over a few extra features on an ecu they're unfamiliar with, heard lots of good things about Syvecs, i've also heard they have a horrible layout in terms of software for mapping, so some reputable tuners prefer using other stuff. That'd be my main consideration over brand, as imo Motec, Syvecs, Haltech, Vipec/link etc etc are all much a muchness so to speak.