Economy

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
What do you call average driving? Town, motorway cruising , drag strip?

At £1.50 per litre £20 is a nats cock off 3 gallons. So that's 16.6666 to 20mpg which would probably be OK around town, poor on the motorway or good up the strip.

John

When I was using mine as a daily on 90% motorway driving I was averaging between 24-26mpg on a consistant basis. This was with just shy of 400bhp and driving like a nun. A full tank used to vary between 240-275miles on the motorway, but if I was on the back roads or only in the town it's easy to only manage 150miles a tank.

Really if you are worrying about your fuel consumption you've choosen the wrong car! 4wd, terrible aero and short gearing are never going to achieve decent mpg figures!

John

Would a remap show better results
Very much doubt it, for the tiny improvement you "may" see on mpg it wouldn't be worth it The Pulsar just isn't an economical car full stop, unfortuneatly you don't get performance for free and poor economy is one of the sacrifices you have to make.

wrc

£20 worth of v-power these days gets me about 50 miles too or a half hour 'brisk' driving session.

Not a lot really is it...

wrc

Definitely agree there, LPG is the way forward.

More economy, more power, much better for the environment - there really is no downside.

Oh yeah, apart from the initial outlay cost and the lack of tuning availible. But the time will come.... Just look at Aon in the btcc in 2010...

warpspeed

i'm developing a liquid injection kit for our cars that have the potential done correctly to make waaaay more power than the normal vapour kits you see on the road and even the btcc cars, the biggest challenge for me to overcome is the tank/tanks as the normal sizes/shapes available are hard to fit easily in a car, especialy one with a rear diff etc in the way, plus to avoid surge problems i'm fitting 2 tanks in opposite direction to each other. I'm also trying to source carbon fibre tanks, if i can get them the lpg system would be lighter than the standard petrol tank filled up as lpg is around half the weight of petrol.

jamieddd

i dont think its so much the car more like fuel prices are crazy compared to other countries... lpg lol makesyour car faster too!!??

skiddusmarkus

A remap would be worth it I reckon as you'd also have more power to go with your better part throttle economy.Guy above said 24-26mpg on the motorway.Me, Danny(Red Reading) and someone else I forget can all get closer to 40mpg on motorway after remaps.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Just keep filling it and flooring it, CBA with even worrying about mpg or using "eco" word with these cars!

Fusion Ed

mpi lpg kits are good. I'm going to be playing with some later this year and testing on turbo'd sr20s hopefully.

LPG doesn't give better mpg - lower calorific value, however since its much cheaper to buy....

For a pulsar you could put quite a large lpg tank under the boot where the OEM exhaust used to go I bet..

warpspeed

no you can't without cutting the boot floor out as there won't be enough ground clearance to get a big enough tank in, legal minimum clearance to ground is 240mm. the shape is also the wrong size to get a twin tank in, i have tried.
The largest single tank you could fit without cutting the floor is around 45ltrs water capacity, so 80% fill = 7.9 gal approx, not enough really, the smallest range i would allow on a car is 200miles and would refuse to fit a kit if it's gonna have less range than this for the road, for the track it's obviously not so important but 200miles is still the range i would aim for.
With the floor cut out i have fitted a 70ltr tank, 80% fill = 12.3 gal approx, @25mpg thats 308miles for £39.20, @40mpg it's 493 miles for the same price assuming around 70p/ltr for the lpg, not to be sniffed at is it?

I am looking to make replacement boot floor sections so you would cut out the floor weld in the frames i supply then weld in the replacement boot floor, obviously this if quite a lot of work if the car doesn't do a great deal of miles.

On a normal conversion where economy is the priority around 10k miles is the break even point, however on our gtir's the break even point would probably be around 5k miles.

I ran an sr20det on a vapour kit when i had the rolling road and made 220hp @4000rpm @4psi with everything else standard, unrelated engine problems stopped the testing but the results were very promising.
I ran an sr20de on the same kit and that made 170hp all day long.

Liquid injection is the way ahead for high performance and i would only fit a vapour kit on a road car/van/motorhome. the biggest factor after cost is lpg's resistance to det.

Last edited:

warpspeed

i'm a qualified lpg installer....it's important to get all the sums correct when it comes to working out whether it's worth converting a vehicle or not, otherwise we'd end up with customers coming back moaning that they're only getting 150 miles to a tank and have to fill up every 3-4 days!

warpspeed

plus, also remember if your considering converting any car where you fit the tank under the boot floor is that the exhaust has 100mm clearance between it and the tank so really the best option is a side exit exhaust with the petrol tank removed.