Easyest way?

pulsar kid

ive just purchesed an new clutch kit for mine, Iam going to attempet it myself, my question is which is the easyest way to change it? engine out or split transfer?:)

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
That depends on what tools you have and whether you've had the engine or box out before (and removed all the "extra" bits).

I'd suggest splitting the engine and gearbox in the car if it's ever been out before... but take the engine out if it never has been just to make it easier to get at the brackets and bolts which you don't need to put back on.

darkyGTI-R

It's a right royal pain in the arse!
Hence why i've never done mine i'm not that mechanically minded nor do I have the tools!
I do however when the clutch does go have a nice exedy organic:)

GTiR-Shaz

It's a right royal pain in the arse!
Hence why i've never done mine i'm not that mechanically minded nor do I have the tools!
I do however when the clutch does go have a nice exedy organic:)
exedy organic? a few people have told me to aviod them at all costs:shock: or they may just be talking out there arses:doh:

Smo

I would suggest dropping the engine if it's never been done before. That said though, I've done it with the engine in situ (and all original brackets) in a few hours. If it's your first ever time, be prepared for delay after delay!

vss irvine

havent had any problems with exedy clutches, i think they used to be less reliable years ago, but seem to have got theyre act together.

techniclutch are the ones to avoid...

geoff pine

exedy organic? a few people have told me to aviod them at all costs:shock: or they may just be talking out there arses:doh:
If you buy a genuine exedy clutch from an authorized dealer you should have no problems. If it was bought through the Internet or eBay then there's a high probability that its counterfeit anyway :lol:

pulsar kid

Its an excedy unity thats going in mine, Iam going to start it next week. quick question tho, other parts needed is it just drive shaft seals,box and transfer oil needed? iam going to replace all 4 cv boots at the same time and is there anything else i should think of doing while the engines out over than remove the y bracket?

P

pulsarboby

yes check your clutch fork
and if you aint done one before then drop the whole lot its easier and less chance of damaging anything

P

pulsarboby

no as we just make them to order
there £45 with a fiver delivery

pulsar kid

Ok cool. while iam here just a thought, my engine internals are totally stock, to do a basic forge are hese the parts i just need?
Forged pistons,
arp rod/head bolts,
acl bearings,
decent head gasket, 1.2mm or 2mm??
new oil pump.
gasket kit,

anything else???

I did my clutch last night, in a fully equipped garage. Took about 6 hours of work betwee n2 to get the engine out, box off, clutch on all all back together and up. Not a nice job but my clutch was wrecked (last owner fitted a ebay special excedy)

Only damage if I caught the plug on the end of the lambda sensor as it came out