Early SAFC (gen_1?) and Apexi multichecker wiring

Jon Olds

After nearly 2 years in the build, my gtir rally project is nearing MOT.

Couple of probs that you knowledgable people could help with please;
(All parts bought s/h from gtiroc members)

APEX SAFC i: The airflow indicates 98% on tickover on my multichecker (below), where it indicates 2% with the bypass harness. (probably right for tickover) The web shows a black and brown earth wire that my system does not have. At present I have white (AFM in) (from AFM) , yellow (AFM out) (ECU-16), black earth (ECU-108), green rpm (ECU-2 or 27: tried both) , red ign 12V (ECU-38) and thats it. I have one spare wire. (blue - for RB26)

MULTICHECKER:
Reads rpm 30% low (revcounter matches datascan software reading), Ign timing is fixed at -60 degress (tickover or revved) and Air Fuel ratio is about 10:1 where the (previously believable) luminition dash gauge reads very weak. New titania lambda installed. The m,checker is wired with white monitoring airflow (ECU pin 16) , pink is ignition (ECU pin 1), Ground is black ECU pin 17, Speed is green ECU pin 32, CAS is brown pin 31, CAS 120 degree is blue ECU pin 22, Power is red ECU pin 47. Light blue and grey not used.

All the above is from the web, but the pulsar is not directly referenced. The diagrams for the early safc are no longer on the official site.

Both sets of problems look like wiring issues to me. Has anybody else been here? And had the same/similar symptoms. Has anybody got any good links? The usual google subjects don't seem to help. I have spent hours trawling.

My safc part no. is 9612-0110, and it may be an early type (gen_1?). It has the five rotary knobs on the front.

Any help appreciated,
Regards,
Jon

mattygti-r

pm andytb on here

his got my old GTIR with a multichecker in, it will be on the correct setting, i cannot remember off hand

you also need to calibrate it when the switches are in position

Jon Olds

Thanks, I will do. I've got some paperwork which mentions calibrations. Once the switches are right I'll have a go.

Jon Olds

Multichecker DIP switch settings

Didnt get a response from andy, so has anybody else got the correct multichecker switch settings. Im getting desperate, and may (if no-one volunteers the info) try the suckit and see method

Jon Olds

ebay

Just seen a Gen -1 unit on ebay, and mine looks quite different. The gen 1 has one knob only and mine has five. Still need those wiring instructions though.

paz

Jon,

Would it not be easier to just pick up an SAFCII on the cheap, they don't cost much?

paz

Jon Olds

I know what your getting at. That is an option, and may happen soon. However, I don't like giving up too easily, as you learn more sometimes by persevering.
Anyway, I can't really sell mine on, so would just bin it (a waste) or leave it on the shelf collecting dust.
Whatever happens, the car is going to get finished. Soon.

ps: anybody got a known working safc2 for sale?????

Jon Olds

andytb

thanks andytb for the pm with your multichecker settings. will give them a try tommorrow.
regards,
jon

Jon Olds

professional engineer

For those who hate the suck it and see approach, I think I can confirm sw4 and 5 ON and the rest off.
Seems to give plausible results.
Halleluyah....

Jon Olds

Apexi AFC: earliest type

Technology moves on and I've bought an even earlier AFC (not super) as a stop gap from ebay.
It was so cheap I had to have it. To play with.
Its the one with a single knob. (type 9602)

Anybody got any instructions? , links to, DIP switch settings , wiring harness etc

On the rear it has 8 DIP switches, one Hex switch and 4 pins.

ps: Ive got a proper SAFC 2+ one lined up, but would like to try this for interests sake.