e-manage or power fc?

pete-r

getting the ecu uprated in a few weeks and i have phoned about a bit about the above mentioned products.ive heard lots about both and have come to the conclusion that they are both about the same .i cant afford the motec so i thought id let you lot decide for me.e-manage or power fc?

P

PF

All about mapping really. I would rather have e-manage with a top map than a power fc with a "ok" ish one.

Also, as e-manage is a piggyback system you retain the cold start functions etc that Nissan spent getting right all those years ago. It must take many hours (and £££) for a manufacturer to produce an ecu that is reliable for every day driving conditions. IMHO I would not want to get rid of those features, I would only want adjustments once the car is moving (which in the Gti-R's case is rather poo).

I think for the money e-manage is superb and we have yet to see the best from the product. Having said that if I had the money to take my car to a higher state of tune I would really consider the power fc. I just think you need to be able to justify the outlay for the benefits it may provide you.

O

Odin

Crazy said:
SPEECH!!! 8)
Anybody that can string more than 3 words together is makeing a speech in your part of the world numpty :lol: :wink: .

rob

A

Anonymous

PF said:
Also, as e-manage is a piggyback system you retain the cold start functions etc that Nissan spent getting right all those years ago. It must take many hours (and £££) for a manufacturer to produce an ecu that is reliable for every day driving conditions. IMHO I would not want to get rid of those features, I would only want adjustments once the car is moving (which in the Gti-R's case is rather poo).
must disagree with this :( my mapper spent about 1 hour mapping my FC and i don't have any issues at all with cold starting,even though it was mapped with a commander rather than the datalogit software.the car is smooth right thru the rev range and develops acceptable levels of power/torque from 1800rpm to 6000rpm considering it has a very conservative timing.

so far,i've been very happy with the FC and i'm expecting large power/torque gains with a bit more time spent with the datalogit software.
i'd certainly rec'd going for a stand alone ecu rather than any of the piggy back stuff that's currently available :D

P

PF

Thats cool as you obviously have a decent person to do your mapping, but my godfathers sons evo was all over the place whenever he started the thing up :? . So again it all comes back to the importance of how it is set up/mapped. :D

A

Anonymous

PF said:
So again it all comes back to the importance of how it is set up/mapped. :D
wouldn't that have been the case as well if the e-manage wasn't set up properly.

it sounded as if,or it came across as if,you were recommending the e-manage over the FC cause it was a stand alone ecu :?

incorrect lag time for the injectors can make a BIG difference as i've since found out :wink: :evil:

P

PF

Oh no dont get me wrong the power fc is a far better unit. Im just recognising the fact that e-manage is a good product and for someone like myself who is on £6.50 per hour it is a more realistic goal to make my car better. I dont think I would see the full benefits of a power fc due to my spec (or lack of it).

pete-r

so if i plan to take my mods a lot further in the future then a power fc or even the motec is more advisable?

A

Anonymous

pete-r said:
so if i plan to take my mods a lot further in the future then a power fc or even the motec is more advisable?
it would seem that if you've got $hit loads of money and req all the bells + whistles :wink: ,you go for motec.

the rest go for the FC.

i wouldn't go as far to say that the motec isn't a top line ecu,it's just that i remain to be convinced that it's worth the extra expense over an FC.no doubt rob will be on shortly calling me for everything :wink:

what you could do,is get an FC,then when you get as far as you can with it,sell to someone lower down the food chain :wink: so you can then buy a motec :D

M

MarkMc

If your not planning on doing a lot of mods to your car I would go the piggy back route. But then if you want to get more mods done to your car in futures :wink: you may need(depends on weather you can drive bigger injector or 300zx air flow) to replace it with something like Power FC, Motec latter :wink: . This is what I had to do(which meant I had to buy twice :cry: :? ). I don’t have issues with cold start either :wink: .

When I replace the uni-chip(piggy back) in my car I asked the tuner several times about fitting a motec( because everyone said it’s the best). They said I would not see any real gains in HP so they fitted the power FC instead.

O

Odin

oap-r said:
it would seem that if you've got $hit loads of money

Which i haven't :roll: well not after shelling out £2700 for a motec anyway :shock: :cry: .

oap-r said:
no doubt rob will be on shortly calling me for everything :wink:
No infact I agree with you old man :shock: , If I had it all to do again I'd get the power fc pro :wink: it's a 1/3 of the price :wink: .

rob

pete-r

well ive been offered a good deal on an e-manage ,so ill probably go with that.i reckon in the future if i ever get the money for forged pistons etc... then ill have the money to upgrade ecu.i hope :)

A

Anonymous

MarkMc said:
If your not planning on doing a lot of mods to your car I would go the piggy back route. But then if you want to get more mods done to your car in futures :wink: you may need(depends on weather you can drive bigger injector or 300zx air flow) to replace it with something like Power FC, Motec latter :wink: . This is what I had to do(which meant I had to buy twice :cry: :? ). I don’t have issues with cold start either :wink: .

When I replace the uni-chip(piggy back) in my car I asked the tuner several times about fitting a motec( because everyone said it’s the best). They said I would not see any real gains in HP so they fitted the power FC instead.
i used to have exactly the same opinion as you re piggy back units and stand alone ecu's.i was quite happy with the apexi saf-c and avc-r.it wasn't until i changed to an FC that i realised just what i had been missing in terms of power/torque and general smoothness.after using both methods of engine control,i would never now rec'd going piggy back :shock:

i know this would mean a mapping session with almost every mod carried out after fitment of the ecu but,i think the rewards justify the extra time/expense/hassle :lol:

i'm sorry if i've just p1ssed off everyone with piggy back units but,when you go to a stand alone ecu,with a DECENT mapper,you'll see and feel exactly what i'm on about :D

323GT-R

SAFC is for people who are more interested in looks than performance :lol:

The Emanage is good for the money. Power FC is ultimately better if you can justify the cost. As has been said over and over on here, the most important thing is the mapping, whether it's a piggy back or stand alone.

pete-r

i think i want to take the car to 350ish bhp,so the e-manage should be good enough for that shouldnt it?its not so much bhp im interested in its torque.will the e-manage or p/fc square this away for me?

323GT-R

Emanage will be ok, but you'd need bigger injectors and MAF to get a good set up at 350BHP. The thing is, once you get 350BHP, you'll probably want more (It just happens :lol: ), so think about how far you want to go in the long run, and save spending the cash now on things you'll uprate again later ;)