Dump Valve Location

G

GTI-R

Dudes,

I'm looking to get some things sorted ready for JAE and one of the things on my list is relocating the dump valve.

<Now remember, I'm rubbish/clueless at engineering etc>

I believe a better place to insert the dumpvalve is along the Intercooler piping route so am thinking of inserting it here:

Does this make sense or is there a better place to locate it?

I am looking to have the current Forge Atmo valve welded in place.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

E

Edd

can't really help you but i've noticed a lot of people with higher powered car's running extenral wastegates weld it onto the that intercooler pipe however not sure of the benefits of doing it

J

jasegould

I think as close to the inlert manifold in the inlet tract as possible is the best place IIRC :?:

coxie

well i did exactly the same about two months ago and was pretty easy to do.it is located on the inlet pipe to the right of the picture.this also is a forge atmo dump valve. :p

G

GTI-R

Cheers, anyone know what the benefit of being closer to the Inlet than from the output of the I/C?

J

jasegould

something to do with the pressure build up behind the throttle butterfly and reaction time i think.....

A

Anonymous

always heard it was good to have it as close to the inlet manifold as possible?

Nad

AFAIK the DV is there to release pressure from the inlet tract as soon as the butterflies shut, therefore the closer to the butterflies the better. The only reason I would place it further down is if u r running a recirc back to the inlet before turbo and want to save on pipework, this idea being based on the fact that the airfilter has been relocated.

Nad

G

GTI-R

Cool, so am I better off having the valve welded into the I/C pipe just before the plenum or do I just leave it where it is and maybe shorten the pipe run?

R

rsnissan

i shortened my pipe run. I think best option would be to weld it onto the inlet plenum if you really wanted to be picky.