Doors (preferably in Ivory) - Sorted

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I think I've come to the point where I need to replace my doors rather than trying to patch them up again. - Because I'm lazy and lack any real skill in bodywork and paint, I'd prefer them in Ivory (KJ7) and as close to Stoke-on-Trent as possible. White might be OK if I could get a good finish with a rattle can (which is unlikely).

Tall ask? Maybe, but there's no harm in trying.

The passenger-side door has been on the way out for a while; this if what it looked like the last time I tried to fix it:

The rust has taken a pretty good chunk out of the middle of the bottom of the door. - It looked OK for a while, but it's starting to come back through now (which suggests I'm getting water inside the door?).

The straw that broke the proverbial camel's back was this:

I went to close the driver's door and it wouldn't catch... because the mechanism has pulled through the steel. - That's repaired with some washers, so not such a priority.

I know there are a couple of people who had doors, but I never followed it up because changing doors seemed like a huge job (especially as it means taking all the mechanisms, speakers, locks, etc out).

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I guess I'll need to sand-back and treat the bonnet too, but that's not got holes in it (yet).

The rear arches can wait for another day. :doh:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
*Bump* Just in case someone has them in Ivory... I think I'm going to have to accept my best chance is primer and a couple of rattle cans.

geoff pine

I'm sure matty ( haughty _1) is reshelling his ivory one to a black shell Bob would know but he and matty don't come on here anymore .He might be on the dark side :lol: ;-)

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
...and now the driver's side door has stopped latching. - I had a very stressful drive back from the supermarket; one arm on the door, holding it shut; one eye watching the police follow me most of the way; the other eye on the speedo; which leaves one hand to drive with.

Time to pull my finger out. :doh:

vss irvine

Could have opened the rear quarter window and tied the door with a shoelace.

Clever ****s arent very clever sometimes.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Doors now sorted thanks to Sohail. - I'm just preparing them to swap over, and I've noticed a couple of things:

Someone has cut these wires. - What are they for; do I need them?

I've still got them in the door loom on the car, so if I do need them I can swap the whole thing over.

Is this a side-intrusion bar on the new door?

I don't have that on the old one:

...and before anyone asks, I've put Dynamat in it because a quiet car makes a quiet wife. ;-)

vss irvine

theyre centre locking wires i think, they would send a signal to lock the after market solenoids. id swap the looms over so its the same as your old doors.

your new doors are off a later car thats why they have the door crash bars, early cars dont have them.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
For the switch on the door? - The after-market solenoid on my old door isn't wired-in to that... but it's also got those odd locks with the Nissan mechanism on them (which makes me think I could get that to lock/unlock the door and I could bin the solenoid).

I figured they must have come off a later car, but they do seem to be genuinely sprayed Ivory (which by definition could only be early cars); maybe they're actually replacement doors that someone has bought at some point?