Does anyone know what this is?

darkyGTI-R

When I turn ignition on I can usually hear the fp priming but instead get a clicking noise so tried relays they're all fine inner fuses all gravy

So took the fuel pump out had a look connected back up outside fuel tank and nothing so got V to bring me his old stock one tried that nothing and still that damn little couple of clicks from engine bay

So I had V turn the ignition on and I listened to where it was coming from and I found it a black box just above the fuel filter WTF

Anyway here is some pics of the clicking black box any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Because of this issue I haven't been able to start the car for two days and I think my boss is not too pleased!

gtirjoey

if i was you i would run a temporally live to the pump that way you can get to work and keep your boss happy, then it gives you a bit of time to diagnose the problem;-)
how have you checked that the relay is working?

Last edited:

darkyGTI-R

ABS relays you say why would that stop my fuel pump from working then as all other relays are fine I really haven't got a clue?

gtirjoey

To be honest mate you need to first check if it the live feed has gone or it is a earth problem.
although i would imagine it has probably lost the live, i guess you could run a wire from your battery+ to the fuel pump live terminal with a fuse in the wire you can remove when you want to switch the pump off. its a bogde job at its worst but will get you to work.

darkyGTI-R

So any ideas why she wont start,I drove her fine on Sunday afternoon no problems at all boosted fine pump came on at start now all this.
I do have a water leak coming from the back of the engine which I think is the ancillary hoses but I can't do anything about that at the moment,i'll just keep an eye on the water level:)

darkyGTI-R

To be honest mate you need to first check if it the live feed has gone or it is a earth problem.
although i would imagine it has probably lost the live, i guess you could run a wire from your battery+ to the fuel pump live terminal with a fuse in the wire you can remove when you want to switch the pump off. its a bogde job at its worst but will get you to work.

Sorry for being thick but do you have a how to guide?
What do you think would cause the live to fail in this way?

vomitt

when i did the walbro pump upgrade, by following a guide on here, i got it all back together as it got dark and it wouldnt start so i was pretty pissed off. after fiddling around the next day i found that my in tank (i think) connector that feeds the power to the pump was together, but not pushed in quite enough to work.

either way like suggested above, you will need to check the electrics in steps logically until you can identify the problem!

darkyGTI-R

I know mate i just don't understand why it would do this after being in the tank over 2 years now,even tried a standard pump still no joy so looks like a live feed issue!

RU55 GTR

Sorry to hear about your troubles bud!

I would suggest, that if you can't hear the pump priming, then I would systematically check everything I can identify in this circuity atleast as a process of elimination. From what I can understand, this is what you are saying has changed, the fuel pump used to prime and now doesn't, so checking here would be the logical start to me.

Best of luck mate and please keep us posted.

darkyGTI-R

All sorted now thanks guys it was a fried live in the back and some dodgy wiring to the pump probably me that done that but it's been like that for over 2 years with no issues funny one that?:)