do you have 215 wide tyres?or if not help neway

E

Edd

Right need some help, does anybody run 215 wide tyres on a 16 inch rim with standard strut still and lowering on whiteline springs preferably.
Will 215's rub as i can get some a lot cheaper than 205's
help please :roll:

E

Edd

ok you buy me the tyres then and if they fit and dont rub ill give you the money? :roll: :twisted:
if not you can have the tyres back :p

S

Sirnixalot

I fit Toyo T1S 225 40 16 tires on my car 8) how ever my wheel offset is 33+.

C

caz

Just saw the 215 bit and posted :oops: I run 215'40'17's. Far to big, no rubbing and mega grip but no good for wheel bearings :(

J

jaigtir

Edd, nabsq has 215/40/16 tyres with a 40(i think) offset. he has the full whiteline kit, and there are no problems with rubbing, but ask him anyway.

Hkondakci

Will probably not rubb if you have the right ofset, i.e. not > than 40 with 7.5J rims. But last i read that even with ET=42mm there wasn't much a problem. I ran (when the car was running :cry: ) 215/40/17 on 7.5J ET=40mm rims, no problem with rubbing; R was/is lowered front aprox 50mm and whiteline kit is also fitted.

But to dear Sirnixalot :wink: you have ET=33, what size rims do you have 7J or 7.5J? Doesn't the rims stick outside the wheel arches?? I'm also planning to get wider rubber like 225/35/17 (it really does exist :lol: ), but was thinkng with ET=42mm on SSR type C rims this would be a problem, so thought preferable to get ET=35mm since SSR type C's come in different ET's.

rgds
habib

Hkondakci

you know for sure they are 40mm ET jaigtr? when I look at the site od SSR they only come in 35,42 and 43 ET, i.e. in size 17x7.5''.
maybe nabsq has 16'' rims?

rgds
habib

J

jaigtir

Yeah, sorry, he does have 16's. Can you not get an ET42 offset and put some 2mm spacers on?

E

Evil_GtiR

I've got 215/40/17s and the front wheels rubs only when you drive over an uneven road surface.

Hkondakci

It's possible with spacers, but I don't like spacers :lol: No really it's not good fo bearings and thread of the wheel bolts also gets shorter, don't like to get in the hassle puting longer bolts.
Probably 35mm will be best when I want to use 225/35/17 tyres. Like to know what Sirnixalot thinks about this, since he got 33mm ET.

rgds
habib

A

Anonymous

Yeah hi habib, i have the SSR type C in 42mm offset. with 215/40/16s
No rubbing but due to my brakes had to use a 3mm spacer to get them on.
Yeah not good for the wheel bearings but then nor would a 225/35/17 tyre + wheel. The further out you go the more stress your gonna put on the wheel bearings. But then if your gna put that wide tyres on then you will need to go to a 35mm offset anyway.

My advice would be dont go too nuts with wide wheels your just making everything heavier and the grip you will gain will be negligible compared to the weight you are gonna gain due to the tyres.

I myself plan to got down to 205 or even 195s to further decrease unsprung weight, you wont believe how much diff they have made to my car.

Nad

Just get whatever offset u like then get the hub face ground down to whatever offset u require, and no spacers needed 8)

Nad

M

memski

I'm back on standard suspension and I dont get any rub with my 215's :p

E

Edd

sweet, by the way my wheels are 35mm offset and im just refurbing them right now :wink:

Hkondakci

Thanks Nabsq, I heard that problem from our main man Memski with his 40mm ET Volk rims. I can imagine with 42mm ET large callipers will come stock :cry:
You're also right about the size of wheels being not good for the wheel bearing; problem is I allready got the 335 discs, I don't want to go to smaller ones.
The reason I was fancying these 225/35/17 rubber was that the overall diam and circumference of the total wheel would be more close the the standard wheel, in regard to 215/40/17 rubber. The benefit of getting 225 in stead of 215 would be neglectible indeed, I agree. The best is when getting a new wheel combo to stay close as possible to the standard wheel. See comparision beneath, all in inches for you UK lads :wink:

Standard wheel: 195/55/14 - 215/40/17 - 225/35/17:
circumference: 70.51 - 74.68 - 72.89
overall diameter: 22.44 - 23.77 -23.20

I do agree about making everything heavier is not good for the unsprung wheight when going to bigger wheels; and the benefit of getting lighter rims+rubber would be something like haeven :wink: But the 225/35 rubbers are relatively lighter (very little) than the 215/40 rubbers. Both rubber weight around 8kg each :shock: :cry: Getting 195 rubber will not make a tremondous difference. Getting smaller rims would do, but as I stated above I have my discs to take in count with....

Probably best thing to do for me will be getting them in 35mm ET.

Thanks for the advise though :wink: 8)

rgds
habib