Do Cheaper R's Work Out?

S

Stevie-Boy

I am in the process of getting ready to sell my Primera Sport+ to return to the world of the 200sx, really missing boosty fun. In my eternal quest to buy the right motor, I keep seeing Pulsars going on ebay for around the 2-2.5k sort of area and it's making me wonder whether these are accidents waiting to happen or whether there has been a big drop in the value of R's. Which is it, anyone got a success story with a cheap R?

I know the risks, with what I was looking for I know that 2.5k will get me a very nice S13 but would also get me a risky S14 which I why I was looking for S13 all the way. The biggest part of my brain tells me that going for a Pulsar at this end of the market is a lottery, the smallest part just keeps saying 'Pulsar, Pulsar, Pulsar'.

Cheers for any info....

Dooie Pop Pop

a guy on here called viking is selling his R for £3500. its fairly well modded to. do a search on his name and pm him :wink:

for 2.5k you are gonna be VERY VERY lucky not to get a sh1tter :lol:

S

Stevie-Boy

Thanks for the tip mate, my general luck states that I won't be very very lucky then and I could do without buying a shed!!
I've had a near miss with a Pulsar before, nearly swapped my Primera GT for one a while back, was sorely tempted but the history of the R was just too dubious, it was screaming ex-japanese track car.
I occassionally think about them and just seeing them recently on ebay has got my mind ticking on overdrive. The 2.5k would literally be my top end, that's how much I will get for my Sport+ so that's all I will be playing with. If I had the extra K I would defs be giving the viking a call.

Keira

at the time of buying mine it was probably a grand less then everything else i was looking at which is why i drove over 1200miles to get it

worked for me 8) , just have your wits about you :wink:

Its the same with anycar if something seems wrong when you're looking at it, talking to the owner it probably is, experienced it last weekend looking at a car for the missus, ignis sport, 04 reg, 4500 miles, looked aok, good price (cheap :wink: :lol: ), to good to be true you could say :roll:

hpi'd it when we got home,

written off last year :(

it had been on the road for 2 months before the insurance company wrote it off :cry:

S

Stevie-Boy

I think realistically my money isn't going to get me anything worth having. It seems at least another grand is needed to get something which would work as a decent car. If I had an R expert check an ebay one over for me and it came up good then yep but I wouldn't trust myself to check one over!! My knowledge is okay but I think in this situation it needs top class knowledge!! Cheers for the replys :D

Keira

there isn't anything that special about the gtir that makes it any different to looking at any other car, if you have half a clue you should be ok, just look at some of the retards that own them these days and they've been ok :wink:

just do abit of research, so you can ask the right question whilst already knowing the answer :wink: and find one that looks and feels aok..

i reckon i could quite easily go find myself a good gtir for £2500-3000tops, maybe less 8) .

theres so many people desperate to break the damn things that parts are plenty anyways if it does go wrong :wink:

S

Stevie-Boy

Cheers mate, you give me a ray of hope that my crazy thinking can pay off!! Maybe I could hand you my cash and you could find me one!! :lol:

I'm liking the idea of the 4wd aspect too, I was awful in the snow last year around the lakes in the S13, a true backendarama.

Keira

at the end of the day you have to remember that they are now worthless shitboxes that some people are dumb enough to stick with and invest small fortunes in :wink: :lol:

if i was after another one i'd be looking at that black h reg for £2500ish or whatever it is tomorrow 8) and going from there, although i dont think the missus would be happy with having 3 of them :shock: :lol:

what part of the uk are you in ?

S

Stevie-Boy

kieron said:
its only a bloody car at the end of the day, dont believe the horror stories and just arm yourself with knowledge before you go looking and if you can, get someone that knows the score to go with you
I was given stacks of horror stories before I bought my S13, told that turbos blow up like crazy, I'd be prctically bankrupt buying parts for it, would kill myself with RWD etc etc. None of that came true, was a pleasure to drive and a pleasure to own. No problems ever and I'm still here to tell the tale. It also showed my g/f that my plans can work out and that was a very good thing!! The only horror story I would be told I reckon is the economy, I would expect some expense like, it goes with the territory but my mate with a modded evo 1 is selling up because the fuel bill is crippling and I would imagine these drink a bit. The S13 was good on petrol, I stayed off boost quite a bit and got good returns.

Keira

is kendal out of the m25 ? :lol:

i guess it is as i've never heard of it :lol: unless its followed by mintcake :wink:

like i said in my earlier post i drove 1200miles in total to get mine, made it clear to the chap that i would call him a c.u.n.t if i drove all that way to look at a heap of sh!t and just go home.

at the time i was looking for a cheap standard car which is what i got...the standard gtir is running so far below what its capable of that aslong as nothing sets the alarm bells ringing it'll probally be ok 8)

no nasty noises on start up, no smoke, no trouble with gear changes, etc.etc theres no reason why you shouldn't be ok.

mines only turned to sh!t since i neglected it :roll: :lol:

Keira

if you're worried about petrol expense dont buy a gtir, buy a replica :wink: :lol:

anyone that aims for economy with one is wasting their time having it :(

S

Stevie-Boy

Kendal is in the Lake District mate, yep just a tad outside the M25!! :lol:

I don't mind travelling for one, I'd drive the top end to the bottom end of the country to get the right one. I'd much rather take one day out of my life to travel than spend the next six months under the bonnet of one.

There are signs I just can't spot and wouldn't realise. The one I could have had last year had some sort of ecu chip thingy which I woudn't have spotted and people who knew the car told me it used to be running very high boost. I would like one pretty standard with just a couple of tweaks, nothing mental although for my cash I wouldn't reach anything mental anyway.

Keira

thats what i was saying earlier...

arm yourself with some knowledge and you can turn up probably knowing more than the mong thats selling it

a completely standard car is you best bet, its high boost and poor tuning that kills the gtir... A standard car should go on forever tbh with the odd oil change thrown in.

Its not unheard of them going 100k plus 8)

S

Stevie-Boy

kieron said:
if you're worried about petrol expense dont buy a gtir, buy a replica :wink: :lol:

anyone that aims for economy with one is wasting their time having it :(
I'm not looking for economy, but there are limits I would be happy with. I probably do about 30 or 40 quid a week in petrol at the minute and I'm cool with that. My mate with the Evo 1 who did less miles than me in a week was doing over 100 quid on fuel. It's not that he couldn't afford to do it, he just couldn't justify using that much juice.

Keira

a tank a week (£40) you should be ok

should see 200miles on that easily on a standard car whilst still enjoying yourself :wink:

S

Stevie-Boy

About 200 a tank is fair enough, can't say fairer than that really.

I've always wanted one of these, I don't want my first experience with one to be a disaster but I'd love to have one. My feelings were stirred up again when I watched a video which was doing the rounds on the net taken from inside a Cosworth which had some jap cars racing, a Pulsar, RX7, R33, Supra and a couple of others and the Pulsar was rapid to say the least!! Did itself proud :D

Keira

dont believe the rubbish thats said about them, learn abit and theres no reason why you shouldn't have a result.

when you eventually find one please dont ask what oils best, dont ask if 17's will fit, dont ask if 1bar boost is ok, dont ask what exhausts best and dont ask if s14 manifolds are a direct fit :wink:

and remember...

the SEARCH button is your friend

good luck 8)