Disco Potato Turbo- I s**t you not!

:D Anybody heard of it? Garrett GT28R (also known by Garrett as the Disco Potato.) I don't know much about it, but apparrently it's the nuts- very fast spool up time, due to some strange hybrid compressor blades or summat. Invented by some guy at Garrett who botched the first one together for his mate and slipped it out the back door- Garrett found out and decided to make it! 1,800 dollars... 8)

D

disco dave

il have then for copywrite as disco is my trade mark!!!

M

Mr Overboooost

the GT28R is what i've got on my car and cost no where near that price and i got it in the uk :shock:
mine is probably a bit different as its good for about 400bhp

cheers
gary

8) Is it a basic bolt in swap Gary? Decent power gains with a near standard straight thru/ air filter/ 1 bar etc engine you reckon?

ashills

havew a look on the sr20 forum as there is a load of info on the dp
also a recent thread titled another dp knackered so ill let u read through it all and make ur own mind
but for 350ish bhp car they seem ideal

M

Mr Overboooost

mine wasnt no it was a real pain in the arse to fit but that was because of the size of the compressor housing.
if it was slightly smaller it would probably bolt straight on

cheers
gary

Seems to be something about different housing options on the ATPTURBO site above- at least, i think it is- DROP IN, it says next to one of them...

M

Mr Overboooost

what it says it is and what it actually is is a completly different matter

cheers
gary

:roll: thought as much- why do they never say "you can fit this at home with your eyes shut using a small screwdriver in your mouth"? It's always the way m8, especially for us more mechanically challenged. :oops:

GINGA

gtir.spares said:
the GT28R is what i've got on my car and cost no where near that price and i got it in the uk :shock:
mine is probably a bit different as its good for about 400bhp

cheers
gary
Yours is probably the gt25/40r as the gt28r is only good for just over 300bhp

skiddusmarkus

Price $1179 from ATP

Looks like you'd need a 3" inlet and 2" outlet off the compressor.I think you need a new oil return flange too which they sell for around $15.You'd have to rotate the compressor say 45 degrees clockwise I think and modify the wastegate bracket to suit.
Fancy polishing the outside of the compressor inlet and not the inside :roll: .

youngsyp

The 'Disco potatoe' is a Garrett GT28RS. The GT28R is a different turbo all together. The DP has the same manifold flange and exhaust outlet flange but, the compressor outlet is a 'normal pipe design not like the standard R which, has the 3 bolt flange on it. All the water and oil pipes go to the same place as normal AFAIK.
They call this the holy grail of turbo chargers. Certainly seems so but, I guess the only way to tell is to try it :lol: :wink:

:D Sorry, i meant RS, just forgot to add the 'S' on, just as you forgot there's no 'e' on the end of potato. :lol:

Sorry, childish of me...

You lost me with all the manifold this and compressor housing that by the way... But i liked that you called it the holy grail of turbo chargers- Now i really want one twice as much! :twisted:

stugtir

ive just got one 8) landed on my doorstep this morning for 1170$ im hoping it all fits in properly now! :?

Keira

little ghost said:
You lost me with all the manifold this and compressor housing that by the way...
it will bolt to standard manifold.

it will require a silicon hose off of the compressor inlets and outlets as the standard ones will not fit.

Easily sorted 8)

youngsyp

Little ghost, I wasn't trying to be facetious, I just wanted to make it clear what you were talking about :D :wink:

Basically, as Keiron say's, it is a straight forward swap apart from the compressor outlet. You will just need to make a new pipe to fit whatever intercoller you have !

I'd be very interested to hear about the performance of this turbo. Could the guys who have one let us know how they compare to the standard t28 ?

Cheers

Paul

:oops: I know Paul, sorry m8, i regretted that as soon as i'd posted it! :oops:

Like you say, it'll be intresting to see what gains can be made from such a simple swap. :twisted:

If it all looks good does anyone fancy trying to get a group buy together?

A

Anonymous

havew a look on the sr20 forum as there is a load of info on the dp

do you have a full address for this site? link/addy please

also what are peoples views on the garrett gt range especially the "disco potato". noticeable response improvement? better power output(dyno)?