Disaster!!!!

Right, I'm so pissed off right now :cry:

Basically, I started doing my valve stem seals in situe today. Gotrocker cover off, tensioner out and marked up chain with cams using blobs of tip-ex. I pulled cam shafts out keeping chain tight on crank pulley then tied them up using tie-wraps. All going well so far.....

Then came the bit where i get my overhead valve compressor tool set up, then attach my air-line to the spark plug adaptor and slowly turn it on.... again all fine, could hear hissing where it was blowing past ring gaps but thats expected. Anyway, i go to compress the valve and suddenly the piston fires down, crank rotates and snaps all tie-wraps and chain falls down.........

Obviously it will have jumped some teeth on bottom pulley so I'm f*cked now!!! I thought if i left the piston tdc then if the worst happened and the air pressure didnt hold the valve up, the valve would just fall a short distance onto piston head rather than loosing it in engine.... Clearly i know now that i should have done the opposite so it didnt turn the shitting crank :cry: (what a retard)

My question is..... has anyone a method of timing the engine back up without taking the whole crank case and oil pump off?

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

bob the builder

yes there is so all is not lost.
if you can get a copy of the online manual i am preety sure it tells you the number of links between the cam marks,the all you do is set to tdc and line the cams up.
also i am sure bobs got a tip or two to help, but thats what i have done before with no issues.

Thanks for help mate.

Well I did think that....as when you set crank to TDC the cams then sit '10 to 2' from what i remember. Trouble is the piston stays at tdc for a few teeth so will be hard to correctly judge?

just use the timing mark on the crank pulley as your guide.
Ok yer I forgot about that, now I have slept on it probably not as bad as I thought. There are quite a few marks on crank pulley though and on workshop manual it just says set it to TDC.....is that the mark far left? as when you set base timing to 20deg is the far right mark?

P

pulsarboby

its a piece of piss to do give me a bell and il try explain

this is why i said use a piece of cord rope instead of air pressure, you cant go wrong that way
did the valve drop into cylinder?

its a piece of piss to do give me a bell and il try explain

this is why i said use a piece of cord rope instead of air pressure, you cant go wrong that way
did the valve drop into cylinder?
No mate I didnt even get as far as compressing the valve lol. I haven't been able to work on the car today as it has been raining so I'll try tomorrow. Is it ok to give you a ring tomorrow when I start it?

P

pulsarboby

you wont get hold of me tomorrow as my phones off all day sundays as im at church confessing my sins:lol: