Difficulty starting/high tickover/wont rev-Fixed!

Davey

Well, after 3 1/2 years of almost totall reliability, its finnaly happened, and something is broke on my 'R :cry:
Got home yesterday evening and noticed that the tickover was a bit higher than normal (about 17/1800 rpm, instead of 12-1400 :shock: )
Tried to start it last night, and it wouldnt go, left it for a minute, tried again, and after 30 seconds or so, it decided to start.
Drove up the road, and it felt ok, but wont rev past 4500/5500 rpm, especially in 3rd/4th/5th.
Also, stutters a lot when coming off the throttle/part throttle.
Tickovers still high, and struggled to start this morning, chucking out loads of blackish smoke when it did start (but no smoke once idleing)

Havent done a fault check yet, cos i dont know how, and havent got a paper clip :roll:

Just guessing, but apart from an air leak (which ive checked for, and cant find anything), I reckon its probably the MAF.
Any other idea's :?:

BTW, this started happening about 10 mins after putting a tank of optimax in, and a week after fitting new leads/dizzy cap and rotor, but I'm sure thats just coincidence :?

nismoboy

Re: Difficulty starting/high tickover/wont rev

Dont sound good mate. Do a compression test then go from the there.

GINGA

sounds like dodgy maf or just the connections to it, a(eating) fork also works well for bridging the pins :wink:

Davey

Changed my MAF 2night (thx gregg :wink: ), started straight away, but still a bit of smoke on startup, and hesitated/stopped going once.

Also, sometimes, when you let off the throttle, it stops very abruptly, more like you've turned the engine off rather than just let off the accelerator?

Any more comments appreciated :D

Davey

Car now wont start at all :evil: , took the plugs out, and they were black and wet :?
Stupid question coming up....... What should the top of the piston look like when you take the plugs out, cos mine looked very wet, couldnt even see the piston on one of them! :? :shock:
Going to my mechanic, but he's busy till the 20th! :evil:

I

Innovate Performance

Mate could be the air regulator under the inlet manifold as it istis used for cold start only and then stops working after around 7 mins. It alows air in to the engine like a choke for cold start. if this is jammed shut it will make it hard to start and may cause the simptoms you have.

hope you fix it.

MarkTurbo

Clean the plugs off and see if it starts then :wink:

I had something similar when my ecu had a blown circuit inside (i had a fault code though) it was overfuelling badly and chucking loads of black smoke out of the exhaust which was also fouling the plugs up badly so it wouldnt start.

Are you getting any black smoke from your exhaust :?:

Davey

Cheers for the replies lads :wink:
Took the plugs out and cleaned them, put them back in, tried again, still wouldnt start, took them back out and they were black and wet again.
:roll:
There was a lot of black smoke coming out (when) it was running, smelt really rich as well.
I was thinking about the AAC valve, but cant get to it to have a look, so it looks like I'm going to be 'Rless for a couple of weeks :cry:
It had better not bleeding snow :evil:

I

Innovate Performance

Check the coolant temp switch this can cause over fueling is it is reading wrong

Davey

Changed the coolant temp sensor, and cleaned the AAC valve at the same time, car now starts and runs perfectly, and even ticksover pretty good (the first time in 3 years) :eek:
Thanks for the suggestions lads, and especially Innovate, for getting it right :wink: :p :D