det sensor replaced, still code 34?

antgtir

Try disconnecting the battery for about an hour or so maybe all it needs is the ecu to reset itself etc, may work may not.

Oh, the connector is still on the end isn't it??

Ant. :wink:

Jgti-R

will have to try the battery thing, had cleared the fault though but as soon as the engine was started it reapeared! checked connectors etc, changed ecu, must be wire or plug somewhere! any ideas? please help! i want to go fast again! :wink:

P

Paul Firth

I had the same problem, but a new sensor fixed mine. The old sensor still measured the same resistance as the new one though (approx 560 kohm) so you can't tell if a sensor is definitely a good one without trying it. Have you checked the wiring yet? Don't just check for resistance though, you need to check for voltage drop between the pin on the ECU and the sensor's connector. Well worth fixing it, the difference is huge.

Jgti-R

need my baby back on form! could you point me in the right direction for what i.m looking for at the ecu side of things? connection wires etc? its getting to me!

Jgti-R

cant find a ecu pin diagram anywhere! can anybody help please? would like to check det sensor wiring! can i bypass it with a resistor? or is this a bad idea? :oops:

Jgti-R

ok.... so have disconected the battery for a couple of hours, got a 55 code..... much joy! started the engine and retried.... back to a code 34! doh! :cry: can anyone help me on the ecu pins for the det sensor? can can check for faulty wiring then!

please?

pretty please? :wink:

nismoboy

if u have replaced the det sensor and its still detting then it must be something else causing it to dett.

What boost are u running?

Jgti-R

its definately not detting, must be a wiring fault somewhere, the car has only been started, not driven and was running .7 bar got an ecu diagram now will do a few checks

any ideas?

J

jiw

Code 34 only means that their is a fault somewhere in the Knock sensor circuit and not that the sensor is detecting knock, find out what pin on the ecu the wire goes to and check for continuity between the knock sensor end and the wire that is at the ecu.

Where did you get the sensor from? if it is second hand then its more than likely someone has sold you a duff, i had a code 34, bought a new sensor from nissan and then found that the plug wiring was rotten so this does happen, jeff :wink:

P

Paul Firth

It's pin 27 on the ECU. First, with the engine idling, check there's 2-3 volts there. Then, with the sensor disconnected, check for continuity between pin 27 and the sensor's connector, then with the ignition on check for voltage drop between those points. If that's ok then it's probably the sensor still. Did you use a new one or second hand?

O

oz_R_Jr

hey yeah my car comes up with! 34 as well. it has been doing it since i got it! my ecu has been chip! someone said it could of been that?
is your stanard? yeahh but my car doent knock or feel slow!
and if i replace it i dont think its goin tot do anything!
i quoted a knock sensor! $360 aus from nissan, i nealy fell over.
but if i replace its not goin to make it run anybetta! than it is now.

what dose your car do when u know the knock sensor has packed it in????

P

Paul Firth

oz_R_Jr said:
what dose your car do when u know the knock sensor has packed it in????
If your knock sensor is working properly and it detects detonation then the ECU lowers the boost (if your boost solenoid is still connected), retards the ignition and puts more fuel in to protect the engine. This is temporary until the detonation has stopped and this does not show a fault code. If there is a fault in either the sensor or the wiring then the ECU will show a code 34 and take the above measures on a permanent basis until the fault is fixed. When it is in this safe mode the car feels a lot slower than usual.

Jgti-R

slow is not the word! i got a whooping from an old astra gte!!!!!!! :oops: :twisted: :evil: :x

discovered that some mo fo before me had mixed up plugs with the idle sensor that's just above the det sensor after much swearing and tracing everything i jumped with joy to discover this!

sorted that all out and............ still fault code 34!!!!!!!

could this have buggered my ecu? :cry:

Jgti-R

or fried my new expesive det sensor once again?!?! :cry:

any ideas?

i'm sure this is not a common fault but could anyone advise me please?

R

r5ben

where abouts is the sensor ?? and how do you know if its the sensor thats broken ?? ive done the code check and still get the 34 code but my car feels fast as well :cry: